making a net with one ip - Network

This is a discussion on making a net with one ip - Network ; Hi, I have 3 computers connected to hub and the hub in its turn connected to the internet using rj-45 cable. I have been told by system admin that to use 192.168.3.48 as an ip address for one computer and ...

  1. making a net with one ip

    Hi, I have 3 computers connected to hub and the hub in its turn
    connected to the internet using rj-45 cable. I have been told by
    system admin that to use 192.168.3.48 as an ip address for one
    computer and the gateway 192.168.3.1 and the submask is 255.255.255.0.
    He told me to run DHCP on that computer so he can give other computers
    dynamic IPs!!! I am confused?? how can I coonect the other computers
    to the internet?! what should the sys admin should give me to make
    these 3 computers work? I am running window 2000 prof on these 3
    computers?? any help would be very much apprciated. Thanks

  2. Re: making a net with one ip

    Hi,
    Looks like your sysadmin wants you to run your own dhcp server on the
    computer that already has assigned (static) ip address (x.x.x.48). You
    may want to make sure of it. If that is the case then check out this
    link:
    http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6268-1041798-1.html
    - Nischal Piratla

    esara123@hotmail.com (esara) wrote in message news:...
    > Hi, I have 3 computers connected to hub and the hub in its turn
    > connected to the internet using rj-45 cable. I have been told by
    > system admin that to use 192.168.3.48 as an ip address for one
    > computer and the gateway 192.168.3.1 and the submask is 255.255.255.0.
    > He told me to run DHCP on that computer so he can give other computers
    > dynamic IPs!!! I am confused?? how can I coonect the other computers
    > to the internet?! what should the sys admin should give me to make
    > these 3 computers work? I am running window 2000 prof on these 3
    > computers?? any help would be very much apprciated. Thanks

  3. Re: making a net with one ip

    Get yourself a new or used Linksys router. Make sure you specify the
    static IP given. Then by default the router has DHCP enabled.
    Connect the computers to this device and that's all she wrote.

+ Reply to Thread