throughput vs bandwidth! - Network

This is a discussion on throughput vs bandwidth! - Network ; what is the different between "throughput" and "bandwidth". These 2 terms confused me, and the definations of both did not help at www.whatis.com any hint would be very much appreciated....

  1. throughput vs bandwidth!

    what is the different between "throughput" and "bandwidth". These 2
    terms confused me, and the definations of both did not help at
    www.whatis.com
    any hint would be very much appreciated.

  2. Re: throughput vs bandwidth!

    The UTP cable which you already have and use with you router or NIC is
    may have 100Mbps bandwidth.
    Throughput is actual speed.

    ==================================+==
    bandwidth
    -------------------+------ |
    throughput |
    -------------------+------ |
    ==================================+===

    Sorry, My english is bad.

    esara123@hotmail.com (esara) wrote in message news:...
    > what is the different between "throughput" and "bandwidth". These 2
    > terms confused me, and the definations of both did not help at
    > www.whatis.com
    > any hint would be very much appreciated.

  3. Re: throughput vs bandwidth!

    Let me explain it further. Throughput is more like a measure of the
    usage of a resource and bandwidth is the measure of resource itself.
    Bandwidth itself can be measured as:
    1) Bottleneck
    2) Available

    Bottleneck is the maximum bandwidth that is available to a connection,
    if it is one and only one between the end points. When there are
    already some connections taking a part of the bottleneck bandwidth and
    we are trying to measure the remaining then we have a available
    bandwidth measurement.

    There are many tools to measure these values. You can try
    www.caida.org

    Throughput is measured at different levels. For example, at
    application level the throughout is less than the transport level
    which is inturn less than the network level so on. These differences
    are due to the fact that the data that reaches each level is after a
    strip of header at the previous level. Consider a voice packet of 40
    bytes then you will add around 68bytes at different levels for headers
    (MAC/IP/UDP .... ) If 't' is the time interval in which the packet is
    received then we have (40+68)/t as throughput at MAC whereas 40/t at
    application.

    Nischal Piratla

    joneyong@naver.com (oneyong) wrote in message news:<5a35e0ae.0406022317.c6f32fd@posting.google.com>...
    > The UTP cable which you already have and use with you router or NIC is
    > may have 100Mbps bandwidth.
    > Throughput is actual speed.
    >
    > ==================================+==
    > bandwidth
    > -------------------+------ |
    > throughput |
    >
    > Sorry, My english is bad.
    >

    > esara123@hotmail.com (esara) wrote in message news:...
    > > what is the different between "throughput" and "bandwidth". These 2
    > > terms confused me, and the definations of both did not help at
    > > www.whatis.com
    > > any hint would be very much appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread