Cable Modem Switch? - Network

This is a discussion on Cable Modem Switch? - Network ; I'm setting up a home network and was wondering if it's possible to set up a switch between the cable modem and 2 computers so that both can have access to the internet (obviously not at the same time) without ...

  1. Cable Modem Switch?

    I'm setting up a home network and was wondering if it's possible to
    set up a switch between the cable modem and 2 computers so that both
    can have access to the internet (obviously not at the same time)
    without the necessity of turning one of them into a gateway and having
    the other become dependent on it being running. So what I have in
    mind is a simple switch that would allow me to choose which computer
    would connect to the internet at any given time.

    I hope that's not too confusing an I appreciate any comments.

  2. Re: Cable Modem Switch?

    kraven wrote:

    >I'm setting up a home network and was wondering if it's possible to
    >set up a switch between the cable modem and 2 computers so that both
    >can have access to the internet (obviously not at the same time)
    >without the necessity of turning one of them into a gateway and having
    >the other become dependent on it being running. So what I have in
    >mind is a simple switch that would allow me to choose which computer
    >would connect to the internet at any given time.
    >
    >I hope that's not too confusing an I appreciate any comments.

    A simple router will allow many computers to access the Internet
    simultaneously. You won't need to use one of the computers as a host for
    ICS -- the router will do that.

+ Reply to Thread