I have a DELL work laptop (WinXP) that is locked down as far as
installation of drivers. I stayed at a hotel recently that gave
guests wireless internet with a device that was USB powered (or
optional AC adapter) but connected to my computer through an RJ45
cable into the DELL NIC (onboard). This thing worked great. It
'tricked' my computer into thinking it was hardwired to the internet,
and no drivers had to be installed.

When I got home, I tried a standard PCMCIA wireless adapter, but it
wouldn't work without loading drivers. I assume that a standard USB
connected adapter would have the same problem...

Anyone know of a product that functions like the above hotel wireless
adapter? Or if a USB adapater is going to need drivers?

Thanks in advance!

-td