Network & Passwords - Network

This is a discussion on Network & Passwords - Network ; I have 2 computers connected to a 100 MHz hub/switch. One is a W98SE and the other an XP Pro. Both can ping each other. Both can be seen in the 'workgroup' from each machine. Both are set up on ...

  1. Network & Passwords

    I have 2 computers connected to a 100 MHz hub/switch. One is a W98SE and
    the other an XP Pro.

    Both can ping each other.
    Both can be seen in the 'workgroup' from each machine.
    Both are set up on the same workgroup.

    When I am on the W98 computer and I select the XP machine in 'Network
    Neighbourhood' it says 'you must supply a password to make this connection'

    I enter the log on password for the XP machine ( The password I used to
    log on ) and it says 'the password is incorrect try again'

    I would appreciate some assistance with what I am doing wrong!

    Jackie

  2. Re: Network & Passwords

    i had the same problem with 2 XP pro machines , still not resolved

    jeroen

    "Jackie" wrote in message

    > I have 2 computers connected to a 100 MHz hub/switch. One is a W98SE and
    > the other an XP Pro.
    >
    > Both can ping each other.
    > Both can be seen in the 'workgroup' from each machine.
    > Both are set up on the same workgroup.
    >
    > When I am on the W98 computer and I select the XP machine in 'Network
    > Neighbourhood' it says 'you must supply a password to make this

    connection'

    > I enter the log on password for the XP machine ( The password I used to
    > log on ) and it says 'the password is incorrect try again'
    >
    > I would appreciate some assistance with what I am doing wrong!
    >
    > Jackie

  3. Re: Network & Passwords - jeroen

    This was one method suggested to me - have not tried it yet though!

    You can also activate simple file sharing ( the default) in XP with the
    Wizard and then switch to full sharing - the settings seem to stick from
    when the wizard runs and it may work. ( or maybe simple is all you want)

    jeroen wrote:
    > i had the same problem with 2 XP pro machines , still not resolved
    >
    > jeroen
    >

    > "Jackie" wrote in message
    >
    >>I have 2 computers connected to a 100 MHz hub/switch. One is a W98SE and
    >>the other an XP Pro.
    >>
    >>Both can ping each other.
    >>Both can be seen in the 'workgroup' from each machine.
    >>Both are set up on the same workgroup.
    >>
    >>When I am on the W98 computer and I select the XP machine in 'Network
    >>Neighbourhood' it says 'you must supply a password to make this

    > connection'
    >
    >>I enter the log on password for the XP machine ( The password I used to
    >>log on ) and it says 'the password is incorrect try again'
    >>
    >>I would appreciate some assistance with what I am doing wrong!
    >>
    >>Jackie

+ Reply to Thread