IP address maks and classes!? - Network

This is a discussion on IP address maks and classes!? - Network ; I want to understand how IP address classes work? One things I do not understand is this 163.40.219.6 255.255.255.0 =============== 163.40.219.1 (corresponding to subnet) My question why the result of the above mask not (163.40.219.1) Do you know the idea ...

  1. IP address maks and classes!?

    ===============
    163.40.219.1 (corresponding to subnet)

    My question why the result of the above mask not (163.40.219.1)

    Do you know the idea behind class B and C IP, how they came with these
    numbers and why? What I mean, class C for example the IP address start
    from 192!! why is that? why not 200, or 196 or any other number??

    Thanks a lot.

  2. Re: IP address maks and classes!?

    The answer to your question lies in Binary Numbers

    Converting Any Class A to binary 011 <(--- First Octet
    Converting Any Class B to binary 100
    Converting Any Class C to binary 110

    If you practiced converting numbers to decimal this would be cake walk
    for you.

    There are 8 Bits to each octet. 10.0.0.0 <(--- Class A Why?

    128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1
    0 0 0 0 1 0 1 0

    Notice the above diagram: The first digits's value is 0. There for
    1-126 Is a class A (127 is NOT a valid network.

    I have just demomstrate Class A IP Addressing. I hope that shed SOME
    sort of light for you my friend.

    Mauricio

  3. Re: IP address maks and classes!?

    esara123@hotmail.com (esara) wrote in message news:...
    > I want to understand how IP address classes work?
    > One things I do not understand is this
    >
    > 163.40.219.6
    > 255.255.255.0
    > ===============
    > 163.40.219.1 (corresponding to subnet)
    >
    > My question why the result of the above mask not (163.40.219.1)
    >
    > Do you know the idea behind class B and C IP, how they came with these
    > numbers and why? What I mean, class C for example the IP address start
    > from 192!! why is that? why not 200, or 196 or any other number??
    >
    > Thanks a lot.

    Mauricio pretty much said it for how the different classes are
    numbered. If I would have learned it that way it would have been so
    much easier to figure out and remember. Like he said, class A will
    always have a 0 for the first bit in the octet. Just to add a little
    bit, this is probably obvious, but class B will always have 10 for the
    first two bits in the first octet, and class C will always have 110
    for the first three bits in the first octet. Do you see the pattern?
    I'd jot down the diagram that Mauricio put down because that will be
    pretty helpful.

    As far as the subnet, the only thing that the computer will be looking
    at to find out the network portion of the address will be the
    163.40.219.x in the address and subnet mask that you have above. The
    x can be any number from 1-255. The computer will check any of the
    bits that have a 1 in their slots. With 255 that means that the
    computer will check the whole number. Is that what you meant?

  4. Re: IP address maks and classes!?

    All you need to know about IP basics...
    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/...ito_doc/ip.htm

    There's some quite good (if a little old) networking info at:
    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/...intwk/ito_doc/

    And an acronym buster at:
    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/.../ita/index.htm

    Enjoy!!