broadcast domains? - Network

This is a discussion on broadcast domains? - Network ; I am reading these 2 questions and I do not understand the answers?? 1) If a switch has 4 ports, how many broadcast domains does it have? answer: 1 2) If a router has 4 ports, how many broadcast domains ...

  1. broadcast domains?

    I am reading these 2 questions and I do not understand the answers??
    1) If a switch has 4 ports, how many broadcast domains does it have?
    answer: 1
    2) If a router has 4 ports, how many broadcast domains does it have?
    answer: 4

    My questions:
    What does broadcast domain mean here?? is it physical port?? what is
    the relation between the number of ports and the broadcast domain.

    I do not understand why a switch with 4 ports has 1 broadcast domain??
    and why the router with the same number of ports has 4 broadcast
    doamins??

    Thanks a lot..

  2. Re: broadcast domains?

    There is only 1 network when switches are concerned unless you have
    VLANS. Therefor if your network IP is 192.168.1.0 Your Broadcast
    Domain would be 192.168.1.255.

    When you deal with routers the device designed to SEPERATE networks, a
    router w/4 ports would mean 4 different networks, hence 4 broadcast
    domains.

    Mo

  3. Re: broadcast domains?

    > When you deal with routers the device designed to SEPERATE networks, a
    > router w/4 ports would mean 4 different networks, hence 4 broadcast
    > domains.

    Also mention that Collision Domain is a different thing: In such case,
    switch will have 4 collision domains (contrary to hubs - 1 collision domain)

    Manos

  4. Re: broadcast domains?

    That wasn't his question. He did ask a specific question.

  5. Re: broadcast domains?

    ? "Mauricio Fernandez MCSE, CCNA" ?????? ??? ??????
    news:90ebab91.0405271947.1e25fe04@posting.google.c om...
    > That wasn't his question. He did ask a specific question.

    Indeed. I just thought it would be useful to clarify such subtle differences
    on this topic, since many people cannot tell the difference between
    Broadcast Domain and Collision Domain. But, I guess you are right..

    Manos

+ Reply to Thread