Multihoming a laptop - Network

This is a discussion on Multihoming a laptop - Network ; My problem involves plugging a laptop into two seperate networks at different locations. I have a desktop PC at Home running windows XP professional. It connects to the internet through a cable modem connected by Ethernet. This has always worked ...

  1. Multihoming a laptop

    My problem involves plugging a laptop into two seperate networks at
    different locations.

    I have a desktop PC at Home running windows XP professional.
    It connects to the internet through a cable modem connected by Ethernet.
    This has always worked fine.
    I connected a laptop/notebook running XP Home to it using a firewire
    connector. By following some instructions on the web I got file, printer,
    and internet connection sharing working.

    My wife then took the laptop to her university and connected it to the
    university network to access the internet - with some help from a librarian
    who changed the internet connection settings and IP address.
    When she brought it back home, it wouldn't connect to the home network -
    even for file sharing and print sharing (using firewire again).
    I was a little surprised about this since different networking hardware was
    being used at the library (ethernet) vs home (firewire)

    Can anyone advise how I get the laptop to connect to the home network again,
    and how I can set it up so that my wife can switch between 'home network'
    mode and 'university network mode' when necessary.

    I found some information about multihoming which seems to describe my
    problem but haven't found any useful tips yet.
    I thought vaguely along the lines that enabling and disabling various
    network controllers through hardware profiles might be a step in the right
    direction, but don't want to tinker until I know more.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    I have not been able to change the network settings, and don't even seem to
    have access to many of them through XP Home. I'm getting frustrated that
    commands like ipconfig /release won't work because the ethernet connection.

    I'd had exactly the same problem withour previous laptop/notebook running XP
    Professional.
    After hours of messing about with IP, DNS, proxy, and internet connection
    settings on the laptop I got it to work again on the home network.
    I wonder if XP Professional has got more network settings available,
    allowing me to fix it myself that time.

    Please let me know if you need the IP and subnet mask settings.

    Richard

  2. Re: Multihoming a laptop

    "Rich" wrote in message news:...
    > My problem involves plugging a laptop into two seperate networks at
    > different locations.
    >
    > I have a desktop PC at Home running windows XP professional.
    > It connects to the internet through a cable modem connected by Ethernet.
    > This has always worked fine.
    > I connected a laptop/notebook running XP Home to it using a firewire
    > connector. By following some instructions on the web I got file, printer,
    > and internet connection sharing working.
    >
    > My wife then took the laptop to her university and connected it to the
    > university network to access the internet - with some help from a librarian
    > who changed the internet connection settings and IP address.
    > When she brought it back home, it wouldn't connect to the home network -
    > even for file sharing and print sharing (using firewire again).
    > I was a little surprised about this since different networking hardware was
    > being used at the library (ethernet) vs home (firewire)
    >
    > Can anyone advise how I get the laptop to connect to the home network again,
    > and how I can set it up so that my wife can switch between 'home network'
    > mode and 'university network mode' when necessary.
    >
    > I found some information about multihoming which seems to describe my
    > problem but haven't found any useful tips yet.
    > I thought vaguely along the lines that enabling and disabling various
    > network controllers through hardware profiles might be a step in the right
    > direction, but don't want to tinker until I know more.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > I have not been able to change the network settings, and don't even seem to
    > have access to many of them through XP Home. I'm getting frustrated that
    > commands like ipconfig /release won't work because the ethernet connection.
    >
    > I'd had exactly the same problem withour previous laptop/notebook running XP
    > Professional.
    > After hours of messing about with IP, DNS, proxy, and internet connection
    > settings on the laptop I got it to work again on the home network.
    > I wonder if XP Professional has got more network settings available,
    > allowing me to fix it myself that time.
    >
    > Please let me know if you need the IP and subnet mask settings.
    >
    > Richard

    Hi, I've had the same weird problem with XP Home. Someone suggested
    setting up two different profiles or users. One user has the settings
    for the home network and the other user has the settings for the
    school network. That has worked okay for me. My problem was having
    to change the domain name and ip info. When I switched between
    networks XP Home would take a long time to realize which one it was
    on. Setting up the different user accounts made it easier because I
    didn't have to switch all of the info every time, but Windows still
    acts weird. Haven't been able to figure that one out yet.

+ Reply to Thread