sharing network files - Network

This is a discussion on sharing network files - Network ; How come that i can only access my shared drives/ files on the network if i enable the ipx/spx protocol, while my brother (other, and different network) has no problem whatsoever for speed purpose i want to get rid of ...

  1. sharing network files

    How come that i can only access my shared drives/ files on the network if i
    enable the ipx/spx protocol, while my brother (other, and different network)
    has no problem whatsoever
    for speed purpose i want to get rid of the old protocol ipx/spx

    i have both computers running on XP pro

    please reply to :

    jeroennewsgroup@hotmail.com

    thanx in advance

  2. Re: sharing network files

    Try Spec your ip adresses on both machines, example 192.168.1.1 on one
    machine and 192.168.1.2 on the other.
    Louis
    "jeroen" wrote in message
    > How come that i can only access my shared drives/ files on the network if

    > enable the ipx/spx protocol, while my brother (other, and different

    network)
    > has no problem whatsoever
    > for speed purpose i want to get rid of the old protocol ipx/spx
    >
    > i have both computers running on XP pro
    >
    > please reply to :
    >
    > jeroennewsgroup@hotmail.com
    >
    > thanx in advance

  3. Re: sharing network files

    sorry, forgot to mention that it currentely is
    62.195.215.102
    62.195.215.103

    subnet mask is 255.255.255.0

    so, that shouldn't be a problem right ?

    "louis" wrote in message
    > Try Spec your ip adresses on both machines, example 192.168.1.1 on one
    > machine and 192.168.1.2 on the other.
    > Louis
    > "jeroen" wrote in message
    > > How come that i can only access my shared drives/ files on the network

    if
    > > enable the ipx/spx protocol, while my brother (other, and different

    > network)
    > > has no problem whatsoever
    > > for speed purpose i want to get rid of the old protocol ipx/spx
    > >
    > > i have both computers running on XP pro
    > >
    > > please reply to :
    > >
    > > jeroennewsgroup@hotmail.com
    > >
    > > thanx in advance

  4. Re: sharing network files

    That is right, have you tried reinstalling your networkcards and protocolls?
    "jeroen" wrote in message
    > sorry, forgot to mention that it currentely is
    > 62.195.215.102
    > 62.195.215.103
    >
    > subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
    >
    > so, that shouldn't be a problem right ?
    >
    > "louis" wrote in message
    > > Try Spec your ip adresses on both machines, example 192.168.1.1 on one
    > > machine and 192.168.1.2 on the other.
    > > Louis
    > > "jeroen" wrote in message
    > > > How come that i can only access my shared drives/ files on the network

    > if
    > > > enable the ipx/spx protocol, while my brother (other, and different

    > > network)
    > > > has no problem whatsoever
    > > > for speed purpose i want to get rid of the old protocol ipx/spx
    > > >
    > > > i have both computers running on XP pro
    > > >
    > > > please reply to :
    > > >
    > > > jeroennewsgroup@hotmail.com
    > > >
    > > > thanx in advance

  5. Re: sharing network files

    yes, about 3 times
    it's the same on every computer, so i guess the problem lies in me, and not
    the pc's

    "louis" wrote in message
    > That is right, have you tried reinstalling your networkcards and

    protocolls?
    > "jeroen" wrote in message
    > > sorry, forgot to mention that it currentely is
    > > 62.195.215.102
    > > 62.195.215.103
    > >
    > > subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
    > >
    > > so, that shouldn't be a problem right ?
    > >
    > > "louis" wrote in message
    > > > Try Spec your ip adresses on both machines, example 192.168.1.1 on one
    > > > machine and 192.168.1.2 on the other.
    > > > Louis
    > > > "jeroen" wrote in message

    network
    > > if
    > > > network)

  6. Re: sharing network files

    Nope we sometimes have the same, but with diffrent operating systems, Win 98
    and 2000, the only way i get around it is to run ipx.., then the problem is
    in me too.
    Louis
    "jeroen" wrote in message
    > yes, about 3 times
    > it's the same on every computer, so i guess the problem lies in me, and

    not
    > the pc's
    >
    > "louis" wrote in message
    > > That is right, have you tried reinstalling your networkcards and

    > protocolls?
    > > "jeroen" wrote in message
    > > > sorry, forgot to mention that it currentely is
    > > > 62.195.215.102
    > > > 62.195.215.103
    > > >
    > > > subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
    > > >
    > > > so, that shouldn't be a problem right ?
    > > >
    > > > "louis" wrote in message

    one

    > network
    > > > if

    different

  7. Re: sharing network files

    Are you saying that the shared files reside on an XP pro and your PC trying
    to access these files is also XP pro? Check to see if netbios is disabled
    (not that this should matter on XP) - give more details maybe we can try and
    help you...

    "jeroen" wrote in message
    > How come that i can only access my shared drives/ files on the network if

    > enable the ipx/spx protocol, while my brother (other, and different

    network)
    > has no problem whatsoever
    > for speed purpose i want to get rid of the old protocol ipx/spx
    >
    > i have both computers running on XP pro
    >
    > please reply to :
    >
    > jeroennewsgroup@hotmail.com
    >
    > thanx in advance

  8. Re: sharing network files

    can you ping the other network card?

    if you can can you also connect to the PC like \\62.195.215.102\fileshare ?

    Cheers

    John

    "louis" wrote in message
    > That is right, have you tried reinstalling your networkcards and

    protocolls?
    > "jeroen" wrote in message
    > > sorry, forgot to mention that it currentely is
    > > 62.195.215.102
    > > 62.195.215.103
    > >
    > > subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
    > >
    > > so, that shouldn't be a problem right ?
    > >
    > > "louis" wrote in message
    > > > Try Spec your ip adresses on both machines, example 192.168.1.1 on one
    > > > machine and 192.168.1.2 on the other.
    > > > Louis
    > > > "jeroen" wrote in message

    network