TCP/IP vs OSI? - Network

This is a discussion on TCP/IP vs OSI? - Network ; Hi Can I say the following 1) TCP/IP layers model is similar to OSI layers model. I mean TCP/IP is like an implementation to the OSI model which is in its turn, a general model to make a network? So ...

  1. TCP/IP vs OSI?

    Hi Can I say the following

    1) TCP/IP layers model is similar to OSI layers model. I mean TCP/IP
    is like an implementation to the OSI model which is in its turn, a
    general model to make a network? So to make a network you need
    software/hardware that are together work as implementation of TCP/IP

    2) And Operating Systems which are used TCP/IP (as part of OS) can be
    called Netwroking OS or Operating System that can do networking??

    Am I right?? thanks a lot.

  2. Re: TCP/IP vs OSI?

    esara123@hotmail.com (esara) wrote in message news:...
    > Hi Can I say the following
    >
    > 1) TCP/IP layers model is similar to OSI layers model. I mean TCP/IP
    > is like an implementation to the OSI model which is in its turn, a
    > general model to make a network? So to make a network you need
    > software/hardware that are together work as implementation of TCP/IP
    >
    > 2) And Operating Systems which are used TCP/IP (as part of OS) can be
    > called Netwroking OS or Operating System that can do networking??
    >
    > Am I right?? thanks a lot.

    Yes, pretty much. The TCP/IP layers model was designed by the
    Department of Defense and is the model that the used when constructing
    the internet and it's protocols. So when you say that to make a
    network you need software/hardware that implement the protocols from
    that model you are correct.

    In #2 it sounds like you are talking about the TCP/IP protocol stack.
    Those protocols installed with your OS enable your computer to be able
    to do networking. If that is what you mean, and that's what it sounds
    like you're saying, then you are correct again.

+ Reply to Thread