win2k machines won't ping each other - Network

This is a discussion on win2k machines won't ping each other - Network ; Hello, I have what should be a simple question. I have 2 windows 2000 machines, one service pack 3 the other 4. I have them connected to a 8 port switch, they have ip addresses 192.168.0.2,192.168.0.3 and 192.168.0.4. The first ...

  1. win2k machines won't ping each other

    Hello, I have what should be a simple question.
    I have 2 windows 2000 machines, one service pack 3 the other 4. I have
    them connected to a 8 port switch, they have ip addresses
    192.168.0.2,192.168.0.3 and 192.168.0.4. The first 2 ip addresses
    belong to one computer with 2 network cards.
    I can not get these two computers to ping each other or "see" each
    other in the workgroup that they are in which is the default
    workgroup.
    I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling ever service for them and
    trying out each individualy and ever combination of the 3 available
    with no success. They each see themselves but there is no
    communication between them going on.
    I know the switch works because I have tested it and the cables and
    the ethernet cards light up green and seem to be broadcasting traffic
    which I can see on the switch.
    I am about to lose my mind on what I am doing wrong and any help would
    be appreciated since these computers are not connected to the
    internet, I can not search for a solution while sitting in front of
    them.
    Thank You;
    Steve Spencer PCV
    Kingdom of Tonga

  2. Re: win2k machines won't ping each other

    stephen_spencer@yahoo.com (steve) wrote in message news:<4992bbe3.0405201304.277a1dcc@posting.google.com>...
    > Hello, I have what should be a simple question.
    > I have 2 windows 2000 machines, one service pack 3 the other 4. I have
    > them connected to a 8 port switch, they have ip addresses
    > 192.168.0.2,192.168.0.3 and 192.168.0.4. The first 2 ip addresses
    > belong to one computer with 2 network cards.
    > I can not get these two computers to ping each other or "see" each
    > other in the workgroup that they are in which is the default
    > workgroup.
    > I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling ever service for them and
    > trying out each individualy and ever combination of the 3 available
    > with no success. They each see themselves but there is no
    > communication between them going on.
    > I know the switch works because I have tested it and the cables and
    > the ethernet cards light up green and seem to be broadcasting traffic
    > which I can see on the switch.
    > I am about to lose my mind on what I am doing wrong and any help would
    > be appreciated since these computers are not connected to the
    > internet, I can not search for a solution while sitting in front of
    > them.
    > Thank You;
    > Steve Spencer PCV
    > Kingdom of Tonga

    I've had problems myself with getting windows to recognize other
    computers on the network. I still haven't figured it out. But on to
    your problem. It sounds like from what you are describing that they
    can ping each other, but that's about it. If not, I wrote some stuff
    down below. Can you give a little more info on what your network
    setup is? On mine, each of the computers can work independently with
    internet and what not, but inexplicably one day, they just stopped
    sharing files and sharing printers and drives. So if you or anybody
    else gets any ideas let me know too. Somebody suggested that I go
    into the interfaces properties section and delete and re-install the
    file and printer sharing item. Maybe that could help. He also told
    me that the pro version of windows is better equipped for networking
    than the home version, so maybe that has something to do with it. In
    any case, I'm just sharing what other people have told me.

    Have you tested the cables with a cable tester? Is your addressing
    all correct? Is the subnet mask configured correctly? How about the
    default gateways? Any of those could also cause problems. Good luck.

  3. Re: win2k machines won't ping each other

    There could be a multitude of potential problems with this network.
    You'll have to start at the hardware level and work your way up. Test
    the cables, try to ping your loopbacks, etc. If everything checks out
    ok, check your network config; Are you using DHCP, what about DNS??
    check File and print sharing along with the workgroup name and subnets
    to make sure they're the same. Maybe you have (or previously had) a
    firewall installed on one of the machines? Maybe it's TCP/IP?....are
    you pinging by IP or name?

    course, if you can't resolve by that time, statically map the IP to
    the PC name by hard-coding it in your LMhosts file...

+ Reply to Thread