can CISCO router computers? - Network

This is a discussion on can CISCO router computers? - Network ; Hi I am very confused about CISCO router. I have a CISCO 1600 router and what I see in the back of the router the following ports/outputs: 10baseT, Ethernet0, AUI, serial0, console, flashPC card, 14v VDC Why I am confused! ...

  1. can CISCO router computers?

    Hi
    I am very confused about CISCO router. I have a CISCO 1600 router and
    what I see in the back of the router the following ports/outputs:

    10baseT, Ethernet0, AUI, serial0, console, flashPC card, 14v VDC

    Why I am confused! becuase lets say we have 4 computers, how can I
    connect them using CISCO router. I have linkSys router and it has WAN,
    LAN, and 4 RJ45 ports, so I can use linkSys router to coonect these
    computer but not the CISCO!! Am I right.. I think I need something
    else beside the CISCO router! what is it?? I do not know

    Thanks a lot.

  2. Re: can CISCO router computers?

    esara123@hotmail.com (esara) wrote in message news:...
    > Hi
    > I am very confused about CISCO router. I have a CISCO 1600 router and
    > what I see in the back of the router the following ports/outputs:
    >
    > 10baseT, Ethernet0, AUI, serial0, console, flashPC card, 14v VDC
    >
    > Why I am confused! becuase lets say we have 4 computers, how can I
    > connect them using CISCO router. I have linkSys router and it has WAN,
    > LAN, and 4 RJ45 ports, so I can use linkSys router to coonect these
    > computer but not the CISCO!! Am I right.. I think I need something
    > else beside the CISCO router! what is it?? I do not know
    >
    > Thanks a lot.

    It depends what you are trying to do. If you just need a simple home
    network, go with the LinkSys router. That will be more than
    sufficient for your needs. The Cisco router is useful when you need
    the additional capabilities of it's IOS. You can configure and manage
    the Cisco 1600 router a lot more than you can the LinkSys. The
    LinkSys is designed to be operated by a home user who doesn't have a
    ton of experience with networking but wants to be able to have a good
    router/firewall. You'll notice that the LinkSys states that it is a
    combination router/4 port switch. The Cisco 1600 is not. It is
    designed for a different setting. You would put a 1600 maybe at the
    front of a small to medium sized business network and put a switch or
    two out of the one ethernet port. Then you would go into the router
    and configure it with access control lists, load balancing, subnets,
    and a ton of other things that you can do to tweak out better network
    performance and custom tailored security. By the way, Cisco has
    transceivers that you can get to change the AUI port to an ethernet
    port.

    What are your needs? That is the real question. If you give more
    info on that, maybe I or somebody else could suggest some ideas.

  3. Re: can CISCO router computers?

    The reason your confused is because of LINKSYS. Althogh Linksys
    routers and the like are much more than just routers. They provide
    you with NAT, A Switch, Multi-ohmed firewall, Port Redirector to name
    a few. All that is in 1 single very light box. It's all you need for
    a home network.

    Your Cisco 1600 Router Is often used for ISDN/T1 Lines. It is JUST a
    router. It is not used for connecting HOME computers. Unless you have
    a T1 or an ISDN Line coming in your house, you have virtualy no use
    for the 1600 Series unless your trying to set up a home lab.
    Basically Cisco Routers are for WAN configurations, connecting more
    than 1 Network together. At home you have a LAN, which is just as its
    named, LOCAL area network.

    YOU CAN get really crazy and connect your linksys router to 1600
    router then get another 1600 router, configure them both with some
    encapsulation or L2TP what ever you feel like then from there connect
    it to a switch. NOW you have a serious network with some security
    there. OH WHAT FUN!

+ Reply to Thread