Help! - Network

This is a discussion on Help! - Network ; What is the point of IGRP than using RIP as a routing protocol....

  1. Help!

    What is the point of IGRP than using RIP as a routing protocol.

  2. Re: Help!

    e155lasi@st.yatsushiro-nct.ac.jp (ranga) wrote in message news:<3381bd9d.0405192338.3887cb5e@posting.google.com>...
    > What is the point of IGRP than using RIP as a routing protocol.

    RIP only uses hop count as it's metric of deciding what is the best
    path to a network. IGRP uses bandwidth, load, delay, reliability, and
    MTU (I believe, although I could be wrong) to determine which path is
    the best. This is called a composite metric. Basically, it uses more
    criteria to determine the best path. To RIP, a 56k path and a T1 path
    look exactly the same and RIP might choose to send a packet across a
    56K path that is one hop away, rather than send it over 2 or 3 hops
    that could be made up of T1 lines. The second option is obviously
    quicker but RIP doesn't know that because it only looks at hop count.

  3. Re: Help!

    VERY WELL PUT JOHN! Great Kuddos to you. Lucky for you he didn't ask
    for BGP instead. You would have been there for ever buddy

+ Reply to Thread