UPS - Network

This is a discussion on UPS - Network ; I'm trying to run two PCs off of a single 800vA (540W) UPS. It's a home network and sometimes, especially during the summer, we get temporary power outages lasting a few seconds. The APC UPS I purchased has 1 USB ...

  1. UPS

    I'm trying to run two PCs off of a single 800vA (540W) UPS. It's a home
    network and sometimes, especially during the summer, we get temporary power
    outages lasting a few seconds. The APC UPS I purchased has 1 USB connection
    for a PC and that allows control by the UPS to shutdown the computer after a
    user-specified period of time w/o power (eg 5min). What I want to do is add
    a 2nd PC. There's only the one USB connection and I'm wondering how the 2nd
    PC would know to shutdown. How can I hookup this 2nd PC so it would
    shutdown in the event of a prolonged outage. The 1st PC would shutdown after
    5mins but the 2nd PC would stay on until the battery drained (not
    desireable). The PCs are networked. Is there a way to automatically send a
    shutdown command from PC-1 to PC-2? Thanks. I'm trying to avoid buying
    another $100+ UPS unit.

  2. Re: UPS

    Your UPS is about 500w as you mentioned. Pentium 4 computers are not
    about 400+watts. Your already going over what your UPS can handle.
    Yes it will work but if it is designed for 1 machine with a usb
    connection, then your asking to REinvent the UPS unit you purchased.
    But if you want to get crazy, get yourself a USB HUB/Switch. 1 USB
    PORT turns into many ooooooh aaaaaaaaaah.

  3. Re: UPS

    Rats!! I didn't think about a USB switch. I went ahead and bought a 2nd
    UP$. I'll bet the USB/hub/switch would have worked. Oh well. My equipment is
    protected now. That's the main thing.

    "Mauricio Fernandez MCSE, CCNA" wrote in message
    news:90ebab91.0405230542.4fe1354f@posting.google.c om...
    > Your UPS is about 500w as you mentioned. Pentium 4 computers are not
    > about 400+watts. Your already going over what your UPS can handle.
    > Yes it will work but if it is designed for 1 machine with a usb
    > connection, then your asking to REinvent the UPS unit you purchased.
    > But if you want to get crazy, get yourself a USB HUB/Switch. 1 USB
    > PORT turns into many ooooooh aaaaaaaaaah.

  4. Re: UPS

    I'm sorry I didn't answer in time my friend. It would have been MUCH
    more cost effective for you.

+ Reply to Thread