Fire Wire and USB - Network

This is a discussion on Fire Wire and USB - Network ; Hi I just purchased a Digital camera that has USB and Fire wire capabilities. I'm attaching the camera to my ceiling to take over head shots, but need to hardwire it to my PC to run the imaging software. Problem ...

  1. Fire Wire and USB

    Hi I just purchased a Digital camera that has USB and Fire wire
    capabilities.
    I'm attaching the camera to my ceiling to take over head shots, but
    need to hardwire it to my PC to run the imaging software. Problem is
    the cord that came with the camera is only 3 feet long. I need at
    least 35 feet of cord to reach the PC.

    Almost everyone I've spoken has said that either USB or fire wire lose
    their signal strength after 10-15 feet.

    Any suggestions or advice would really be appreciated.

    And if I posted in the wrong forum, I apologize. I'm new to this.

    Mike

  2. Re: Fire Wire and USB

    Hey,

    I remember reading the max (advised) length for USB 2.0 is 5 metres, 3
    metres for USB 1.1. As far as firewire, theoretically, it should be
    about 15% less than USB 2.0, so like 4.5 metres.

    You could always run it through some kind of signal booster though....

    long story short: 5 metres.

+ Reply to Thread