Wireless Question - Network

This is a discussion on Wireless Question - Network ; I have a question that I'm sure has more to do with my inexperience with wireless networks than anything else but I just cannot seem to resolve this. I have a Desktop and a laptop connected through a Netgear wireless ...

  1. Wireless Question

    I have a question that I'm sure has more to do with my inexperience with
    wireless networks than anything else but I just cannot seem to resolve this.
    I have a Desktop and a laptop connected through a Netgear wireless router
    and everything works fantastic except that when I first turn the laptop on
    it seems to pick up a wireless signal from my neighbor. To resolve this I
    have to click on the network icon and then select my network.

    I made sure that only my network was listed in the "Preferred" section but a
    couple of reboots later and I still seem to have the same problem.

    Any help that you can offer would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in
    advance!

  2. Re: Wireless Question

    Dave wrote:
    > I have a question that I'm sure has more to do with my inexperience with
    > wireless networks than anything else but I just cannot seem to resolve this.
    > I have a Desktop and a laptop connected through a Netgear wireless router
    > and everything works fantastic except that when I first turn the laptop on
    > it seems to pick up a wireless signal from my neighbor. To resolve this I
    > have to click on the network icon and then select my network.
    >
    > I made sure that only my network was listed in the "Preferred" section but a
    > couple of reboots later and I still seem to have the same problem.
    >
    > Any help that you can offer would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in
    > advance!

    Is Windows managing your network?

    Right click on the connection, choose 'Properties' from the pop up menu.
    Click the 'Wireless Networks' tab.
    At the bottom of the window is an 'Advanced' button. Click it.
    Uncheck the 'Automatically connect to non-preferred networks' checkbox.

  3. Re: Wireless Question

    Jerry Park wrote in message news:...
    > Dave wrote:
    > > I have a question that I'm sure has more to do with my inexperience with
    > > wireless networks than anything else but I just cannot seem to resolve this.
    > > I have a Desktop and a laptop connected through a Netgear wireless router
    > > and everything works fantastic except that when I first turn the laptop on
    > > it seems to pick up a wireless signal from my neighbor. To resolve this I
    > > have to click on the network icon and then select my network.
    > >
    > > I made sure that only my network was listed in the "Preferred" section but a
    > > couple of reboots later and I still seem to have the same problem.
    > >
    > > Any help that you can offer would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in
    > > advance!
    > >

    > Is Windows managing your network?
    >
    > Right click on the connection, choose 'Properties' from the pop up menu.
    > Click the 'Wireless Networks' tab.
    > At the bottom of the window is an 'Advanced' button. Click it.
    > Uncheck the 'Automatically connect to non-preferred networks' checkbox.

    i have some problems with d-link products in my network.
    my network contains 2 access points(AP2000) and router(DL604),
    the router may reset setting in about 3-4 weeks(i am not sure how long
    the period exactly)this cause the network stop.
    on the other hand the router and/or access points may halt at any time
    ,this may due to loading,where the number of PCs about 30.
    please if any one can help me,i will be grateful.thanks in advance.

    mohammad

+ Reply to Thread