Connectivity for everything but browsers - Network

This is a discussion on Connectivity for everything but browsers - Network ; We are running an office workgroup connected to a 8-port wired Linksys router. Yesterday, I added a cannibalized machine that has been recently installed(by someone else) with XP Pro to the network. Now the machine can see all of the ...

  1. Connectivity for everything but browsers

    We are running an office workgroup connected to a 8-port wired Linksys
    router. Yesterday, I added a cannibalized machine that has been
    recently installed(by someone else) with XP Pro to the network. Now
    the machine can see all of the others in the workgroup and their
    shared folders and printers. From the Pro, I can ping and tracert
    sites, send error reports to Microsoft, MSMessenger thinks I am
    connected to the Net, and all of the IP addresses that the machine is
    getting from the router (IP, Gateway, DNS Servers) are all correct.
    The machine is set to recieve all of this data dynamically in its
    network settings. The machine's netowrk connection says that I am
    connected to the network, and packets are being sent and received.

    But, when I use a browser, IE6 or Mozilla, to visit a site, the
    connection times out resulting in a DNSError (IE6), or proceeds
    incredibly slowly, and then goves me the page in what appears to be
    text format (mozilla on the mozilla.org home page).

    The title message appears at the top of the browser window, the status
    bar says it has connected to the site and is either waiting for it, or
    is retrieving data, but never moves beyond that, aside from the
    mozilla.org site coming in text mode.

    Any ideas would be most appreciated. None of the other machines
    connected to the router are having any issues whatsoever.

    Thanks heaps!
    Monticus

  2. Re: Connectivity for everything but browsers

    Do you have a proxy server on your network? This behavior will occur
    if your firewall is set to deny HTTP traffic direct in order to force
    use of a HTTP proxy.

+ Reply to Thread