networking XP Pro and Win 98 - Network

This is a discussion on networking XP Pro and Win 98 - Network ; I am trying to network my main computer and XP Pro Athelon 1700 to a Win 98 machine. I am using a Belkin 4 port router. I can't get the computers to see each other. However, I can get on ...

  1. networking XP Pro and Win 98

    I am trying to network my main computer and XP Pro Athelon 1700 to a Win 98
    machine. I am using a Belkin 4 port router.
    I can't get the computers to see each other. However, I can get on the WEB
    from my 98 machine and I can check email from my main Athelon computer but I
    can get the browser to connected to any web sites from my Athelon computer.
    The Belkin setup site says its connected, which i know it has to be, since i
    can check my email.
    The WAN light on my router blinks, what does that mean? The port lights are
    on and on solid.
    I do have the properties checked so that the drives are shared.
    thanks for the help.
    Tom

  2. Re: networking XP Pro and Win 98

    Tom

    I would look to see if both computers are set to the same workgroups.
    Windows 98 is set to MSHOME (by default) I think. And Windows xp is
    set to WORKGROUP.

    phil

    "tcoop" wrote in message news:<0Unpc.18677$GV5.3951@bignews4.bellsouth.net>...
    > I am trying to network my main computer and XP Pro Athelon 1700 to a Win 98
    > machine. I am using a Belkin 4 port router.
    > I can't get the computers to see each other. However, I can get on the WEB
    > from my 98 machine and I can check email from my main Athelon computer but I
    > can get the browser to connected to any web sites from my Athelon computer.
    > The Belkin setup site says its connected, which i know it has to be, since i
    > can check my email.
    > The WAN light on my router blinks, what does that mean? The port lights are
    > on and on solid.
    > I do have the properties checked so that the drives are shared.
    > thanks for the help.
    > Tom

  3. Re: networking XP Pro and Win 98

    Goto my site

    http://www.pcprobs.co.nr

    and click "Windows XP & Networking" on the front page. if you have
    anymore queries emaail me @ freepcprobs@hotmail.com

    Tarl

+ Reply to Thread