Re: Netgear Powerline XE102 with Multiple Switch Question - Network

This is a discussion on Re: Netgear Powerline XE102 with Multiple Switch Question - Network ; Hope you don't mind my jumping in at this point. I'm considering the three topologies (Cat5, Wireless and Powerline) for an installation at a church client of mine. Their church office is basically a three story brick and block construction ...

  1. Re: Netgear Powerline XE102 with Multiple Switch Question

    Hope you don't mind my jumping in at this point. I'm considering the three
    topologies (Cat5, Wireless and Powerline) for an installation at a church
    client of mine. Their church office is basically a three story brick and
    block construction 1940's home and running the cat5 will be difficult. The
    distances between places where network drops are needed are such that the
    wireless is possibly a problem. Thus I want to look at Powerline. But when I
    talk to Belkin about their powerline products, they say all nodes must be on
    the same circuit breaker, not just in the same breaker panel, to be able to
    communicate. I can see how this makes some sense but it also severely limits
    the use of the technology. I know the bedrooms on the third floor use
    different circuit breakers than the offices in the basement, as you'd expect
    them to. Does anyone know the correct answer here? Is there one good source
    or review of the pluses and minuses of the three topologies that anyone can
    recommend?

    Thanks.

    Michael

    "Steve Winograd [MVP]" wrote in message
    > In article <1c251713.0404061906.502587c1@posting.google.com>,
    > burgerwars@yahoo.com (burgerwars) wrote:
    > >Just to follow-up, I did buy a couple of XE102's and hooked them up
    > >tonight. One I plugged into a router/switch upstairs, and one I
    > >plugged in downstairs (about 30 feet away), which then goes into
    > >another switch. I then plugged my laptop into that.
    > >Both started working immediately. Nothing to configure. I then ran a
    > >couple of speed tests, using dslreports.com and another service. The
    > >results were about 2800 kbps download and 300 kbps upload. This is
    > >very close to what I get from a hardwired ethernet connection (my ISP
    > >is Time Warner Cable). So as far as internet browsing, not much of
    > >speed difference there, but obviously there will be a speed difference
    > >if I copy a bunch of files between PCs on my network. I'll be testing
    > >these things a bit more this weekend.

    > Thanks for the report. I'm glad that it's working so well and that
    > you're getting better speeds than I do!
    > --
    > Best Wishes,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    ---

  2. Re: Netgear Powerline XE102 with Multiple Switch Question

    In article , "Michael"
    wrote:
    >Hope you don't mind my jumping in at this point. I'm considering the three
    >topologies (Cat5, Wireless and Powerline) for an installation at a church
    >client of mine. Their church office is basically a three story brick and
    >block construction 1940's home and running the cat5 will be difficult. The
    >distances between places where network drops are needed are such that the
    >wireless is possibly a problem. Thus I want to look at Powerline. But when I
    >talk to Belkin about their powerline products, they say all nodes must be on
    >the same circuit breaker, not just in the same breaker panel, to be able to
    >communicate. I can see how this makes some sense but it also severely limits
    >the use of the technology. I know the bedrooms on the third floor use
    >different circuit breakers than the offices in the basement, as you'd expect
    >them to. Does anyone know the correct answer here? Is there one good source
    >or review of the pluses and minuses of the three topologies that anyone can
    >recommend?
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >Michael

    I haven't tried Belkin's powerline product, but I suspect that their
    representative gave you bad information.

    The Netgear and SpeedStream powerline products that I've used work
    fine between different breakers on the same panel, and between
    different breaker panels in the same house. As I understand it, they
    would even work between different houses that are fed from the same
    power company transformer. That's why it's important to use data
    encryption on the powerline network.

    Here's my summary of the three topologies:

    Cat5 Plus

    1. Low cost
    2. High speed
    3. High security
    4. High reliability
    5. Mature technology, numerous vendors
    6. Recent computers have network adapter built in

    Cat5 Minus

    1. Requires running cables

    Wireless Plus

    1. No need for cables
    2. Laptop users are completely mobile.

    Wireless Minus

    1. High cost
    2. WEP encryption hard to set up, can be broken by determined hacker.
    3. Limited range

    Powerline Plus

    1. Easy to set up -- no driver program to install
    2. No new cables -- works wherever there's an AC outlet

    Powerline Minus

    1. Low speed
    2. Few equipment vendors
    --