Connection 2 PCs to share ADSL - Network

This is a discussion on Connection 2 PCs to share ADSL - Network ; Hi all, I have 2 PCs: PC-1 : Windows XP Pro with a ADSL Connection (USB) PC-2 : Windows 98 SE both of them have a free PCI Ethernet card. What I need to do is to connect PC-2 to ...

  1. Connection 2 PCs to share ADSL

    Hi all,

    I have 2 PCs:
    PC-1 : Windows XP Pro with a ADSL Connection (USB)
    PC-2 : Windows 98 SE

    both of them have a free PCI Ethernet card.

    What I need to do is to connect PC-2 to PC-1 so I can reach Internet
    (ADSL) from PC-2, and I also need to share resources between them.

    How can I configure the two PCs to achieve it?

    Thanks to all in advance,

    Carles.

  2. Re: Connection 2 PCs to share ADSL

    carles.rabaneda@gtd.es (Carles) wrote in
    news:6b172a9b.0405132353.1b19950a@posting.google.c om:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have 2 PCs:
    > PC-1 : Windows XP Pro with a ADSL Connection (USB)
    > PC-2 : Windows 98 SE
    >
    > both of them have a free PCI Ethernet card.
    >
    > What I need to do is to connect PC-2 to PC-1 so I can reach Internet
    > (ADSL) from PC-2, and I also need to share resources between them.
    >
    > How can I configure the two PCs to achieve it?
    >
    > Thanks to all in advance,
    >
    > Carles.

    Internet Connection Sharing

    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/ics

    They have a great step-by-step

  3. Re: Connection 2 PCs to share ADSL

    "Carles" wrote in message
    news:6b172a9b.0405132353.1b19950a@posting.google.c om...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have 2 PCs:
    > PC-1 : Windows XP Pro with a ADSL Connection (USB)
    > PC-2 : Windows 98 SE
    >
    > both of them have a free PCI Ethernet card.
    >
    > What I need to do is to connect PC-2 to PC-1 so I can reach Internet
    > (ADSL) from PC-2, and I also need to share resources between them.
    >
    > How can I configure the two PCs to achieve it?
    >
    > Thanks to all in advance,
    >
    > Carles.

    Most people get a router and connect it to the modem and then connect their
    PCs to the router. This will allow for easy independent access to ADSL from
    either computer and will allow easy file/printer sharing among the computers
    in the network.

  4. Re: Connection 2 PCs to share ADSL

    jch wrote:
    > "Carles" wrote in message
    > news:6b172a9b.0405132353.1b19950a@posting.google.c om...
    >
    >>Hi all,
    >>
    >> I have 2 PCs:
    >> PC-1 : Windows XP Pro with a ADSL Connection (USB)
    >> PC-2 : Windows 98 SE
    >>
    >> both of them have a free PCI Ethernet card.
    >>
    >> What I need to do is to connect PC-2 to PC-1 so I can reach Internet
    >>(ADSL) from PC-2, and I also need to share resources between them.
    >>
    >> How can I configure the two PCs to achieve it?
    >>
    >> Thanks to all in advance,
    >>
    >>Carles.

    > Most people get a router and connect it to the modem and then connect their
    > PCs to the router. This will allow for easy independent access to ADSL from
    > either computer and will allow easy file/printer sharing among the computers
    > in the network.

    Is this difficult to set up - using a router?

    Jackie

  5. Re: Connection 2 PCs to share ADSL

    Basicly routers are v. expensive.

    Go down to your local computer store and get a Cross-Over cable (aka
    X-Over) from your local PC store (custom cables i. 3.47m are about
    1.50/m in the UK) plug one end into one PC and one end into the other
    PC.

    Now pop in your Windows XP CD (you will have to do this on both
    computers - this is perfectly leagal and recomended by microsoft when
    setting up XP to 9x [95,98,ME] connections)
    When the menu appears select "Perform additional tasks" then select
    "Set up a home or small office network"
    Click YES on the "Network Setup Wizzard"'s prompt
    Clcik Next, and then Next

    Now on the ADSL computer click the top radio button and click next
    On your non-ADSL (yet!!!) computer select the middle radio button and
    click next.

    Keep clicking next to accept the defualt prompts until you get to the
    screen where an animation shows the computter becoming "network-afied"
    (blue monitor 2green monitor to purple monitor)

    at the next prompt click the bottom radio button "just finnish
    the..." and clcik next. then click finnish.

    If windows does not ask to be retart it restart anyway.

    Please note: Windows 98 May be required to restart before you see the
    wizzard, as it requires extra files before it can connect to XP.

    Please note: The one with the direct ADSL connection has to be on to
    connect to the internet. You may want to set auto sign in, the other
    computer to go online without having to go to the one with the modem
    to sign in first.

    Tarl

    if you have any problems feel free to email me at
    freepcprobs@hotmail.com or visit http://www.pcprobs.co.nr (still under
    construction)

  6. Re: Connection 2 PCs to share ADSL

    I'd have to disagree with this bit of advice. Routers aren't very expensive
    and are the preferred method of networking with many advantages over using a
    cross-over cable and ICS which is a kludge at best.

    "tarl smith" wrote in message
    news:4f008a83.0405182253.16a8daaa@posting.google.c om...
    > Basicly routers are v. expensive.
    >
    > Go down to your local computer store and get a Cross-Over cable (aka
    > X-Over) from your local PC store (custom cables i. 3.47m are about
    > 1.50/m in the UK) plug one end into one PC and one end into the other
    > PC.
    >
    > Now pop in your Windows XP CD (you will have to do this on both
    > computers - this is perfectly leagal and recomended by microsoft when
    > setting up XP to 9x [95,98,ME] connections)
    > When the menu appears select "Perform additional tasks" then select
    > "Set up a home or small office network"
    > Click YES on the "Network Setup Wizzard"'s prompt
    > Clcik Next, and then Next
    >
    > Now on the ADSL computer click the top radio button and click next
    > On your non-ADSL (yet!!!) computer select the middle radio button and
    > click next.
    >
    > Keep clicking next to accept the defualt prompts until you get to the
    > screen where an animation shows the computter becoming "network-afied"
    > (blue monitor 2green monitor to purple monitor)
    >
    > at the next prompt click the bottom radio button "just finnish
    > the..." and clcik next. then click finnish.
    >
    > If windows does not ask to be retart it restart anyway.
    >
    > Please note: Windows 98 May be required to restart before you see the
    > wizzard, as it requires extra files before it can connect to XP.
    >
    > Please note: The one with the direct ADSL connection has to be on to
    > connect to the internet. You may want to set auto sign in, the other
    > computer to go online without having to go to the one with the modem
    > to sign in first.
    >
    > Tarl
    >
    > if you have any problems feel free to email me at
    > freepcprobs@hotmail.com or visit http://www.pcprobs.co.nr (still under
    > construction)

+ Reply to Thread