Help: Accessing secure websites over LAN - Network

This is a discussion on Help: Accessing secure websites over LAN - Network ; I have the following problem. Every time I try to access an secure website or a page with secure items the browser tries endlessly to connect to the page/item but with no avail. No error message is ever returned. This ...

  1. Help: Accessing secure websites over LAN

    I have the following problem. Every time I try to access an secure
    website or a page with secure items the browser tries endlessly to
    connect to the page/item but with no avail. No error message is ever
    returned. This only happens when I try to access these sites as a
    client computer on a LAN with shared Internet connection. I have no
    problem accessing the secure websites using the host computer. I also
    changed the client computer to host and
    that enabled me to access secure sites. I should also mention a
    secure site/item is always the cause for my browser's inability to
    connect to a site, that there are some secure sites that I can access
    (althought it seems if it happens at a slower speed).

    I didn't have this problem when I used to connect to the Internet
    using a dail-up connection. The problem started when I installed my
    broadband wireless connection. As a novice I am not sure which
    protocol the wireless connection use but I have noticed settings for
    PAP, MPAP, CHAP and that type of stuff that is different from the
    dialup connection.

    I have tried a range of options to resolve the issue including:
    - Changing/disabling the firewall on client and host computer
    - Reinstalling Windows XP on both client and host computer
    - Trying different browsers
    - Toggling with SSL and encrypting settings
    - Toggling with the IPSec policies and even removing it with "net stop
    policyagent"

    Please feel free to forward this message to anyone/any newsgroup that
    you think might be better able to assist.

    Thanks in advance

    Pierre

  2. Re: Accessing secure websites over LAN

    quoted from http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    Can't access some web sitesSymptoms: 1) If you're using MS ICS or Windows
    server as router to access the Internet, your clients may not be able to
    access certain web sites. However, the ICS host or the server doesn't have
    this problem.
    2) After installed a new router or cable modem replacing dial-up to access
    the Internet, you can't access some web sites.
    3) You also find that most web sites you can't access are block to ping or
    they are security sites using HTTPS.

    Causes: 1) The problem occurs because many web servers block ICMP messages
    and the packets are dropped. As a result, the requested web site doesn't
    load.
    2) This problem is caused also by an incompatible MTU networking setting.
    You may try to install the latest SP. If you use MS ICS, you may want to
    configure all your Client computers to use the new, lower MTU as the default
    for all Internet communication. To modify the MTU size, locate the following
    registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SYSTEM\ CurrentControlSet\ Services\
    Tcpip\ Parameters\ Interfaces. If you use a router like Cisco DSL Router,
    you may want to adjusting the PPPoE MTU Size. For example, to adjusting the
    PPPoE MTU Size on the Cisco DSL Router, do

    interface ethernet0
    no shut
    ip address
    ip adjust-mss 1452

    --
    For more and other information, go to http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
    Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

    Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN, Anti-Virus, Tips & Troubleshooting on
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    "Pierre van Rooyen" wrote in message
    news:27b63fdb.0405130541.2fa5761f@posting.google.c om...
    >I have the following problem. Every time I try to access an secure
    > website or a page with secure items the browser tries endlessly to
    > connect to the page/item but with no avail. No error message is ever
    > returned. This only happens when I try to access these sites as a
    > client computer on a LAN with shared Internet connection. I have no
    > problem accessing the secure websites using the host computer. I also
    > changed the client computer to host and
    > that enabled me to access secure sites. I should also mention a
    > secure site/item is always the cause for my browser's inability to
    > connect to a site, that there are some secure sites that I can access
    > (althought it seems if it happens at a slower speed).
    >
    > I didn't have this problem when I used to connect to the Internet
    > using a dail-up connection. The problem started when I installed my
    > broadband wireless connection. As a novice I am not sure which
    > protocol the wireless connection use but I have noticed settings for
    > PAP, MPAP, CHAP and that type of stuff that is different from the
    > dialup connection.
    >
    > I have tried a range of options to resolve the issue including:
    > - Changing/disabling the firewall on client and host computer
    > - Reinstalling Windows XP on both client and host computer
    > - Trying different browsers
    > - Toggling with SSL and encrypting settings
    > - Toggling with the IPSec policies and even removing it with "net stop
    > policyagent"
    >
    > Please feel free to forward this message to anyone/any newsgroup that
    > you think might be better able to assist.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Pierre

  3. Re: Help: Accessing secure websites over LAN

    Hello,

    Do you mean accesing a secure server in your local network or a secure
    server on the Internet?

    First, try to check the basics. Can you ping the host computer from
    client computer and vice versa? The Router have 2 IPs: 1 external to
    access the internet and one internal to access/share your local
    network. Check that the Internal Network IP's ranges are the
    recommended by your router manufacturer. Usually, the IPs ranges
    192.168.x.0 to 192.168.x.255 are used to LANs. If your router have
    DHCP Server (assigns an unique IP address to all computers on your LAN
    without an IP -Assign Automatically-), make sure this is not causing
    conflicts with Internet Connection Sharing (you don't need this if
    using a router). If the Host computer have their Local Network Card IP
    to 192.168.0.2, usually this have to be configured specifying the
    "Gateway" IP too (in this case, the Router's Internal Network IP or as
    specified by your ISP).

    Good luck,

    Daniel
    Interdesigner Software Development