Can't ping own IP address in Windows XP - Network

This is a discussion on Can't ping own IP address in Windows XP - Network ; Hi Folks I hope someone can help me. I have a PC with Windows XP home with an intel 10/100 onboard NIC. It has been setup with IP 192.168.0.1 When I try to ping it from another Win98 PC the ...

  1. Can't ping own IP address in Windows XP

    Hi Folks
    I hope someone can help me. I have a PC with Windows XP home with an
    intel 10/100 onboard NIC. It has been setup with IP 192.168.0.1 When I
    try to ping it from another Win98 PC the connection times out. If I
    ping 127.0.0.1 on the XP PC it is fine, if I ping the IP 192.168.0.1
    on the XP PC it times out? I can however, ping the Win98 PC
    192.168.0.2 from the XP PC? I have tried re-installing the drivers for
    the NIC and even tried a new NIC but still the same result. The XP PC
    also has an ADSL connection and uses the ICF. I have tried disabling
    this as a last ditch attempt but with no joy. Can anybody help out?

    Cheers
    Russ

  2. Re: Can't ping own IP address in Windows XP

    rstanley@iinet.net.au said in
    news:412c496.0405112345.5d53ff31@posting.google.co m:
    > Hi Folks
    > I hope someone can help me. I have a PC with Windows XP home with an
    > intel 10/100 onboard NIC. It has been setup with IP 192.168.0.1 When I
    > try to ping it from another Win98 PC the connection times out. If I
    > ping 127.0.0.1 on the XP PC it is fine, if I ping the IP 192.168.0.1
    > on the XP PC it times out? I can however, ping the Win98 PC
    > 192.168.0.2 from the XP PC? I have tried re-installing the drivers for
    > the NIC and even tried a new NIC but still the same result. The XP PC
    > also has an ADSL connection and uses the ICF. I have tried disabling
    > this as a last ditch attempt but with no joy. Can anybody help out?
    >
    > Cheers
    > Russ

    Last time I discussed a similar problem as yours, the user found their
    firewall (PC-cillin) was causing the problem. Ping on 127.0.0.1 is on
    the internal interface so your firewall probably won't interfere. Ping
    to some other host probably works because it doesn't have an intervening
    firewall or it is configured to allow ping (ICMP). When you ping your
    IP address, it bounces out and back in but probably gets blocked coming
    in because you have ping disabled in your firewall. Disable your
    firewall to see if pinging your own IP address then works. One of the
    techniques for stealthing your host is to not respond to pings.

    *** Email: domain = ".com" and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

  3. Re: Can't ping own IP address in Windows XP

    Thanks for your help. I was thinking along the lines of a firewall but
    didn't think to check that the PC was running a personal firewall as
    well as ICF. Cheers

+ Reply to Thread