How can I optimize Internet through my LAN? - Network

This is a discussion on How can I optimize Internet through my LAN? - Network ; Hey, whatīs up? I have three computers in my office (One with Win Me, and the rest wiht XP) connected to a Efficient SpeedStream 5200 router. I have a ADSL connection of 192 Kbps. The connection is usually pretty good ...

  1. How can I optimize Internet through my LAN?

    Hey, whatīs up?

    I have three computers in my office (One with Win Me, and the rest
    wiht XP) connected to a Efficient SpeedStream 5200 router. I have a
    ADSL connection of 192 Kbps. The connection is usually pretty good
    when all three computers are browsing the internet, but when one of
    them downloads a big file, thats when the slowdowns begin. Speed
    tests report 30-50 Kbps on each computer.

    I just want to know if this is normal. Can a download on one computer
    affect others in the LAN? Is there a way to tweak the router so it can
    optimize the speed?

    Thank you in advance.

  2. Re: How can I optimize Internet through my LAN?

    Your router is a 100MB Fast ethernet switch as well as a router. I
    guess you can say its integrated. That means you have 100MB per EACH
    MACHINE in a LAN connected to that router. These figures you came up
    with are they DOWNLOAD streams or Straight Lan communication? It
    should be 100Mb NO LESS.

  3. Re: How can I optimize Internet through my LAN?

    SekureSupport@aol.com (Mauricio Fernandez MCSE, CCNA) wrote in message news:<90ebab91.0405111215.3d7b9c52@posting.google.com>...
    > Your router is a 100MB Fast ethernet switch as well as a router. I
    > guess you can say its integrated. That means you have 100MB per EACH
    > MACHINE in a LAN connected to that router. These figures you came up
    > with are they DOWNLOAD streams or Straight Lan communication? It
    > should be 100Mb NO LESS.

    Ok, i will try to be more specific.

    Internet Speed is 192 Kbps downstream. When i go to any one of the
    online speed tests (pcpitstop, dslreports, etc.) and only one machine
    is up in the LAN, the test results are 150-160 Kbps. When other
    machines are online, it's almost the same internet speed, but If any
    machine starts downloading a big file (50MB for example) all machines
    get slow internet speeds.

    What i'm trying to find out is if there's a way to improve this
    situation, or if i'm going to start telling everybody to stop
    downloading programs from the internet.

    By the way, thanks for your reply.

  4. Re: How can I optimize Internet through my LAN?

    Are you in a switched environment or hub?

  5. Re: How can I optimize Internet through my LAN?

    herrera135@hotmail.com (Rafael) wrote in message news:<62e2b493.0405111830.2e849142@posting.google.com>...
    > SekureSupport@aol.com (Mauricio Fernandez MCSE, CCNA) wrote in message news:<90ebab91.0405111215.3d7b9c52@posting.google.com>...
    > > Your router is a 100MB Fast ethernet switch as well as a router. I
    > > guess you can say its integrated. That means you have 100MB per EACH
    > > MACHINE in a LAN connected to that router. These figures you came up
    > > with are they DOWNLOAD streams or Straight Lan communication? It
    > > should be 100Mb NO LESS.

    > Ok, i will try to be more specific.
    >
    > Internet Speed is 192 Kbps downstream. When i go to any one of the
    > online speed tests (pcpitstop, dslreports, etc.) and only one machine
    > is up in the LAN, the test results are 150-160 Kbps. When other
    > machines are online, it's almost the same internet speed, but If any
    > machine starts downloading a big file (50MB for example) all machines
    > get slow internet speeds.
    >
    > What i'm trying to find out is if there's a way to improve this
    > situation, or if i'm going to start telling everybody to stop
    > downloading programs from the internet.
    >
    > By the way, thanks for your reply.

    The answer is both yes and no.

    The problem is that the router doesn't prioritize bandwidth, so if one
    computer is constantly recieving packets from the internet (ie a
    download) then the rest who are intermittantly browsing/downloading
    html/pic file, etc, then they will experience a serious slow down,
    particularly when your bandwidth is low like 192 Kbps.

    The solution is not an easy one: you will need to put in a bandwidth
    optimizer or analyzer (a good example of such a device is a
    Packeteer). They aren't cheap, but depending on the need for
    optimizing bandwidth, sometimes it's cheaper than upgrading your
    connection.

    There may be programs out there that do this for you, but haven't
    looked much for them. Suggest you google Bandwidth Optimize or some
    variation of such.

  6. Re: How can I optimize Internet through my LAN?

    David if your reffering to what "WE" call routers Cisco, Network
    Foundry, Nortell etc.. etc.. then you would be correct. However if
    your using one of the lower end SoHO routers such as Linksys and the
    like then you would see QoS,Port Filtering, and about 4 to 8 Fast
    Ethernet 10/100 ports on the router itself. People often
    underestimate what these units can do. Not to get off topic, if your
    using one of these routers the download between two machines should
    not interfere with the rest of the network.

    Mo

  7. Re: How can I optimize Internet through my LAN?

    I am using the Linksys Etherfast 8-port workgroup hub. By the way,
    Davidīs answer made a bit of sense to me. But i still would like to
    know why a router like Linksys for example (i am using Efficient
    Speedstream right now, but I also know the Linksys router) should not
    affect speed among users.

  8. Re: How can I optimize Internet through my LAN?

    You just mentioned HUB. That says it all my friend. Remember when
    you use a HUB what Computer 1 says computers 2-8 will ALL LISTEN on
    the conversation. So if just 1 machine is downloading a LARGE file it
    will bring your network down to it's KNEES.

    To prove this, get yourself an 8-Port switch. Now when 1 computer
    downloads a large file it will be 100% Transparent to computers 2-8
    and there will be no bottleneck.

  9. Re: How can I optimize Internet through my LAN?

    SekureSupport@aol.com (Mauricio Fernandez MCSE, CCNA) wrote in message news:<90ebab91.0405230535.4950fdc8@posting.google.com>...
    > You just mentioned HUB. That says it all my friend. Remember when
    > you use a HUB what Computer 1 says computers 2-8 will ALL LISTEN on
    > the conversation. So if just 1 machine is downloading a LARGE file it
    > will bring your network down to it's KNEES.
    >
    > To prove this, get yourself an 8-Port switch. Now when 1 computer
    > downloads a large file it will be 100% Transparent to computers 2-8
    > and there will be no bottleneck.

    Ok, I understand now. Thanks Mauricio and David, you've been very helpful.

+ Reply to Thread