Wireless ADSL sharing over 1.2 miles - Network

This is a discussion on Wireless ADSL sharing over 1.2 miles - Network ; I have ended up in the situation where I need to share an ADSL connection with a friend. Only problem is they live 1.2 miles away! I have looked at various wireless equipment and sites, as well as talking to ...

  1. Wireless ADSL sharing over 1.2 miles

    I have ended up in the situation where I need to share an ADSL
    connection with a friend. Only problem is they live 1.2 miles away!
    I have looked at various wireless equipment and sites, as well as
    talking to people about the problem.

    It has been suggested that a linksys ADSL modem router and standard
    PCI card will do the job over this distance but can anyone back this
    up?

    Otherwise I'll need expensive antennae. What Dbi antenna would I need
    to cover this didtance? And would I have to have one at each end?

  2. Re: Wireless ADSL sharing over 1.2 miles

    I have to say I didn't think that a wireless router could transmit
    over those distances. I always thought they could only transmit data
    at about 200-300 Ft.

    unrealdan@yahoo.co.uk (unrealdan) wrote in message news:...
    > I have ended up in the situation where I need to share an ADSL
    > connection with a friend. Only problem is they live 1.2 miles away!
    > I have looked at various wireless equipment and sites, as well as
    > talking to people about the problem.
    >
    > It has been suggested that a linksys ADSL modem router and standard
    > PCI card will do the job over this distance but can anyone back this
    > up?
    >
    > Otherwise I'll need expensive antennae. What Dbi antenna would I need
    > to cover this didtance? And would I have to have one at each end?

  3. Re: Wireless ADSL sharing over 1.2 miles

    Ok. So i need antennae. Any recommendations? (as cheap as possible!)

  4. Re: Wireless ADSL sharing over 1.2 miles

    unrealdan@yahoo.co.uk (unrealdan) wrote in message news:...
    > Ok. So i need antennae. Any recommendations? (as cheap as possible!)

    Best antennae so-far would seem to be a pringles tube joke>; what you'll need is a uni-directional antennae which usually
    takes to form of a tight coil around a conductive, hollow tube. I
    also believe catfood tins are quite effective and are less prone to
    the weather than the pringles tubes.

    There's plenty of info around on this just googling for 'pringles tube
    antennae'.

+ Reply to Thread