Looking for router recommendations - Network

This is a discussion on Looking for router recommendations - Network ; The company I work for is looking for an inexpensive router that will support jumbo frames & has a configurable MTU. The idea is to be able to fragment standard & jumbo sized IP datagrams to see how the product ...

  1. Looking for router recommendations

    The company I work for is looking for an inexpensive router that will
    support jumbo frames & has a configurable MTU. The idea is to be able to
    fragment standard & jumbo sized IP datagrams to see how the product under
    test on either side of the router reacts. I can't find an easy way to
    search for routers on the web based on features such as this.

    Any suggesions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

    Robert

  2. Re: Looking for router recommendations

    "Robert" wrote in message news:<5vwnc.58814$Ik.4594165@attbi_s53>...
    > The company I work for is looking for an inexpensive router that will
    > support jumbo frames & has a configurable MTU. The idea is to be able to
    > fragment standard & jumbo sized IP datagrams to see how the product under
    > test on either side of the router reacts. I can't find an easy way to
    > search for routers on the web based on features such as this.
    >
    > Any suggesions or advice would be greatly appreciated!
    >
    > Robert

    You might want to take a look at Linux itself as a router in this case
    -- assuming of course that configurability is more to the point than
    low latency.

    These refs will give you a glance at what is available to tweak --
    both in a router setup as well as hosts.

    http://ipsysctl-tutorial.frozentux.n...-tutorial.html ip
    varibles
    http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.kernel.html whole howto worth a look
    over
    http://linux-ip.net/html/ good but perhaps not applicable
    http://www.psc.edu/networking/perf_tune.html#Linux GigE

    You would be much more likely to find or make the kind of
    tracking/accounting stats at the router needed/useful for your setup.
    Iptables provides quite a lot out of the box.

    There are several Linux/router projects around as well that may
    provide some specific advantages for you, but most, I believe, leave
    the ip stack very similar to a stock kernel.

    Anyway, it might be worth consideration.

    Ciscos running IOS 11+ (certainly 12) may provide what you need -- at
    least they are cheaper on the used market than they used to be (but
    not bargain basement as after the dot bomb). The IOS docs are here:
    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/...ware/index.htm

    Not familiar with other products/possibilities. I would think you
    would have to look over the software docs for the kind of details you
    need.

    hth,
    prg
    email above disabled

  3. Re: Looking for router recommendations

    I will tell you this. I am a very big fan of Cisco. Now that I am
    much more familiar with routers and how they operate I have tested
    many others. I'm particularly impressed by Foundry Networks. The CLI
    is just like Cisco with a few exceptions here N there. Nortell is
    also pretty good. In a side by side comparison Cisco is actually one
    of the more poorer choice "IN TERMS OF SPEED and all that good stuff".
    I will try to find a very detailed side by side comparison on all the
    major routers that I have. I will post the article as well as where
    to find it once I remember.

+ Reply to Thread