Looking for TCP stack that runs in application space - Network

This is a discussion on Looking for TCP stack that runs in application space - Network ; The company I work for is looking for a TCP stack that runs in application space. It should have O/S & device independed APIs for interfacing w/ the application layer, O/S services & the NIC. An additional API allowing us ...

  1. Looking for TCP stack that runs in application space

    The company I work for is looking for a TCP stack that runs in application
    space. It should have O/S & device independed APIs for interfacing w/ the
    application layer, O/S services & the NIC. An additional API allowing us to
    monitor statistics &/or modify behavior (MSS, etc) would also be great. The
    idea is to have something we can tweak for various kinds of testing of
    network products. We're prepared to port one to application space
    ourselves, but would prefer to take advantage of something that already
    exists. Something open source would be best, but a product we'd have to buy
    would also be of interest.

    Thanks in advance for any help!

    Robert

  2. Re: Looking for TCP stack that runs in application space

    "Robert" wrote in message news:<3vwnc.58102$0H1.5786592@attbi_s54>...
    > The company I work for is looking for a TCP stack that runs in application
    > space. It should have O/S & device independed APIs for interfacing w/ the
    > application layer, O/S services & the NIC. An additional API allowing us to
    > monitor statistics &/or modify behavior (MSS, etc) would also be great. The
    > idea is to have something we can tweak for various kinds of testing of
    > network products. We're prepared to port one to application space
    > ourselves, but would prefer to take advantage of something that already
    > exists. Something open source would be best, but a product we'd have to buy
    > would also be of interest.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help!
    >
    > Robert

    A long, long time ago I used a Unix port of Phil Karn's KA9Q/NOS. It
    ran in user space atlthough it had to have root privileges. I have no
    idea if it is still available or where to get it

  3. Re: Looking for TCP stack that runs in application space

    Robert wrote:
    > The company I work for is looking for a TCP stack that runs in application
    > space. It should have O/S & device independed APIs for interfacing w/ the
    > application layer, O/S services & the NIC. An additional API allowing us to
    > monitor statistics &/or modify behavior (MSS, etc) would also be great. The
    > idea is to have something we can tweak for various kinds of testing of
    > network products. We're prepared to port one to application space
    > ourselves, but would prefer to take advantage of something that already
    > exists. Something open source would be best, but a product we'd have to buy
    > would also be of interest.

    NCSA Telnet ran under DOS in user space. There is (as far as I
    know it still exists) a telnet application, ftp, lpr, and maybe
    a few others. Since it runs in user space, only one such program
    can run at once, but then that is the way DOS works.

    I believe the early NCSA Telnet for macintosh also ran that
    way, until MacTCP came along. I am not sure if MacTCP should
    be called user space or not, but probably it should be considered
    part of the OS.

    You could use VMware, and run virtual IP stacks in virtual
    machines, if that would help. You might still have to reboot
    the virtual machine, but that is easier than a real machine.

    -- glen

  4. Re: Looking for TCP stack that runs in application space

    glen herrmannsfeldt wrote in message news:...
    > Robert wrote:
    > > The company I work for is looking for a TCP stack that runs in application
    > > space. It should have O/S & device independed APIs for interfacing w/ the
    > > application layer, O/S services & the NIC. An additional API allowing us to
    > > monitor statistics &/or modify behavior (MSS, etc) would also be great. The
    > > idea is to have something we can tweak for various kinds of testing of
    > > network products. We're prepared to port one to application space
    > > ourselves, but would prefer to take advantage of something that already
    > > exists. Something open source would be best, but a product we'd have to buy
    > > would also be of interest.

    > NCSA Telnet ran under DOS in user space. There is (as far as I
    > know it still exists) a telnet application, ftp, lpr, and maybe
    > a few others. Since it runs in user space, only one such program
    > can run at once, but then that is the way DOS works.
    >
    > I believe the early NCSA Telnet for macintosh also ran that
    > way, until MacTCP came along. I am not sure if MacTCP should
    > be called user space or not, but probably it should be considered
    > part of the OS.
    >
    > You could use VMware, and run virtual IP stacks in virtual
    > machines, if that would help. You might still have to reboot
    > the virtual machine, but that is easier than a real machine.
    >
    > -- glen

    Yeah, I forgot that one but at the time I chose KA9Q because the Unix
    port was in better shape. I ran it on Sun boxes( the version just
    before Solaris and Solaris). You needed to run as root to have access
    to the NIT ( did I get that right)

+ Reply to Thread