wifi problem - Network

This is a discussion on wifi problem - Network ; I have an SMC 2655W wireless access point on my network. I connect from my laptop through the access point, then a hub to an XP PC running ICS. Everything seems fine, I can get my email and access web ...

  1. wifi problem

    I have an SMC 2655W wireless access point on my network. I connect from my
    laptop through the access point, then a hub to an XP PC running ICS.
    Everything seems fine, I can get my email and access web pages from the
    laptop no problem.

    However, when I try and access secure pages (such as for online banking) the
    pages time out. If I hardwire the laptop to the hub, I can access secure
    pages no problem, so I'm sure the problem lies in the configuration of the
    access point or of the laptop wireless connection. I just can't figure out
    which, or how to cure the problem.

    I'm hoping someone else has had this problem and can tell me how to fix it.

    TIA

    Neil

  2. Re: wifi problem

    What is your signal strength between the access point and your client?
    Have you tried if it happens to other secured sites or just that one?
    It could be that your signal strenth is low or perhaps you have some
    interference. And when you try to access a web page with more
    overhead such as HTTPS it just times out.

  3. Re: wifi problem

    Hi Mauricio

    Signal strength is excellent, and there is no apparent interference. I have
    also tried to access other secure sites with the same symptoms.

    I'm convinced this is a configuration issue rather than a signal issue, but
    I can't figure out what aspect of configuration could be causing the problem

    Cheers

    Neil

    "Mauricio Fernandez MCSE, CCNA" wrote in message
    news:90ebab91.0405100449.611f023c@posting.google.c om...
    > What is your signal strength between the access point and your client?
    > Have you tried if it happens to other secured sites or just that one?
    > It could be that your signal strenth is low or perhaps you have some
    > interference. And when you try to access a web page with more
    > overhead such as HTTPS it just times out.

  4. Re: wifi problem

    Ahhh I've solved the problem now by downloading and installing new firmware

    Cheers

    Neil

    "Neil" wrote in message
    > I have an SMC 2655W wireless access point on my network. I connect from my
    > laptop through the access point, then a hub to an XP PC running ICS.
    > Everything seems fine, I can get my email and access web pages from the
    > laptop no problem.
    >
    > However, when I try and access secure pages (such as for online banking)

    the
    > pages time out. If I hardwire the laptop to the hub, I can access secure
    > pages no problem, so I'm sure the problem lies in the configuration of the
    > access point or of the laptop wireless connection. I just can't figure out
    > which, or how to cure the problem.
    >
    > I'm hoping someone else has had this problem and can tell me how to fix

    it.

    > TIA
    >
    > Neil

+ Reply to Thread