wireless LAN -some help please?? - Network

This is a discussion on wireless LAN -some help please?? - Network ; hi, i have a wireless ethernet card (802.11b) for mylaptop, and i also have 3 servers, can someone tell me what i need to link all four systems in one box (i.e. a "router" - a switch with compatable with ...

  1. wireless LAN -some help please??

    hi, i have a wireless ethernet card (802.11b) for mylaptop, and i also have 3
    servers, can someone tell me what i need to link all four systems in
    one box (i.e. a "router" - a switch with compatable with 802.11b)?,
    thanks

  2. Re: wireless LAN -some help please??

    "`G4" wrote in message
    news:60066357.0405072305.47c021cb@posting.google.c om...
    > hi, i have a wireless ethernet card (802.11b) for mylaptop, and i also

    have 3
    > servers, can someone tell me what i need to link all four systems in
    > one box (i.e. a "router" - a switch with compatable with 802.11b)?,
    > thanks

    A few of the ways you could do it...

    1) Add 802.11b cards to your three 'servers'. As long as each 'server'
    (you really mean 'host' here, right?) is no more than 300 feet from each of
    the others, you don't need any other hardware (just the cards).

    2) If the 'servers' have standard NIC cards, wire them to a Switch, and add
    a Wireless Access Point (WAP), also wired to the switch. Your laptop would
    be connected to the wired network via the WAP.

    2a) Instead of a separate switch and WAP, use a multifunction switch/WAP.
    (I think they exist, and would be shocked if Linksys didn't make one.)

    ---Mick

  3. Re: wireless LAN -some help please??

    Hi,

    What's exactly what you want to do? Sorry, is not clear for me. Do you
    want to link your wireless card to a wired network (where your 3
    servers are)? If this is your case, you just need a Wireless Access
    Point with a port to connect to the wired hub. If you want to route
    all computers to a Cablemodem/ASDL, use instead a combination of
    Wireless Router with 5-many ports to connect wired computers/nodes. If
    your 3 servers already use a hub, you'll not need it anymore, or get a
    Wireless Router with one port to use for internal network.

    Good luck,

    Daniel
    Interdesigner Software Development

    http://www.interdesigner.com
    http://www.networkclipboard.com
    http://www.comparatorfast.com
    http://www.shutdowntools.com

    marcfinnwilson@hotmail.com (`G4) wrote in message news:<60066357.0405072305.47c021cb@posting.google.com>...
    > hi, i have a wireless ethernet card (802.11b) for mylaptop, and i also have 3
    > servers, can someone tell me what i need to link all four systems in
    > one box (i.e. a "router" - a switch with compatable with 802.11b)?,
    > thanks

  4. Re: wireless LAN -some help please??

    ok, well, i need a router - a wireless access point for my 802.11b
    card, but it *needs* to have a switch, i just really wanna know what
    item im looking for (cheapest and most reliable please)

    groups@interdesigner.com (Daniel) wrote in message news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > What's exactly what you want to do? Sorry, is not clear for me. Do you
    > want to link your wireless card to a wired network (where your 3
    > servers are)? If this is your case, you just need a Wireless Access
    > Point with a port to connect to the wired hub. If you want to route
    > all computers to a Cablemodem/ASDL, use instead a combination of
    > Wireless Router with 5-many ports to connect wired computers/nodes. If
    > your 3 servers already use a hub, you'll not need it anymore, or get a
    > Wireless Router with one port to use for internal network.
    >
    > Good luck,

    > Daniel
    > Interdesigner Software Development
    >
    > http://www.interdesigner.com
    > http://www.networkclipboard.com
    > http://www.comparatorfast.com
    > http://www.shutdowntools.com
    >
    > marcfinnwilson@hotmail.com (`G4) wrote in message news:<60066357.0405072305.47c021cb@posting.google.com>...
    > > hi, i have a wireless ethernet card (802.11b) for mylaptop, and i also have 3
    > > servers, can someone tell me what i need to link all four systems in
    > > one box (i.e. a "router" - a switch with compatable with 802.11b)?,
    > > thanks

+ Reply to Thread