Cannot share folders in a network with Windows 2000 - Network

This is a discussion on Cannot share folders in a network with Windows 2000 - Network ; Hello. I want to share folders in a network with 2 Windows 2000 PCs. The "server" is a desktop at home, not member of a domain. The workstation service is started, the directories are shared. The "client" is a laptop ...

  1. Cannot share folders in a network with Windows 2000

    Hello.

    I want to share folders in a network with 2 Windows 2000 PCs.

    The "server" is a desktop at home, not member of a domain. The
    workstation service is started, the directories are shared.

    The "client" is a laptop (from my work). It is a member of a domain,
    but obviously standalone when I connect it to my home network. The
    client can ping the server.

    The command
    net view \\servername
    on the client returns:
    System Error 5 has occured, Access is denied

    net use \\servername /user:username
    on the client returns:
    System Error 1219 has occured.
    The credentials supplied conflict with an existing set of
    credentials .

    What's missing?

    Any help is greatly appreciated
    Rudi

  2. Re: Cannot share folders in a network with Windows 2000

    rudolf_behringer@yahoo.de (Rudi) wrote in message news:...
    > Hello.
    >
    > I want to share folders in a network with 2 Windows 2000 PCs.
    >
    > The "server" is a desktop at home, not member of a domain. The
    > workstation service is started, the directories are shared.
    >
    > The "client" is a laptop (from my work). It is a member of a domain,
    > but obviously standalone when I connect it to my home network. The
    > client can ping the server.
    >
    > The command
    > net view \\servername
    > on the client returns:
    > System Error 5 has occured, Access is denied
    >
    > net use \\servername /user:username
    > on the client returns:
    > System Error 1219 has occured.
    > The credentials supplied conflict with an existing set of
    > credentials .
    >
    > What's missing?
    >
    > Any help is greatly appreciated
    > Rudi

    Try this command:

    net use \\servername\sharename /user:servername\username

    If it asks for a password, make sure you enter the password that is
    defined on teh server, NOT the workstation.

    Sujit D'Mello

+ Reply to Thread