router dropping internet connections - Network

This is a discussion on router dropping internet connections - Network ; THIS PROBLEM INVOLVES: * Netgear WGR614 802.11g Wireless Router (wireless feature usually turned off). * One Gateway tower running Linux (Fedora Core 1) / Win XP; dual-boot. * One Dell laptop running Win XP. * Cable Internet connection: Road Runner. ...

  1. router dropping internet connections

    THIS PROBLEM INVOLVES:

    * Netgear WGR614 802.11g Wireless Router (wireless feature usually
    turned off).
    * One Gateway tower running Linux (Fedora Core 1) / Win XP;
    dual-boot.
    * One Dell laptop running Win XP.
    * Cable Internet connection: Road Runner.

    THE CONTEXT OF THE PROBLEM:

    * Both PCs are plugged into the router via ethernet cables.
    * The router is updated with the most recent firmware.
    * Occasionally, (but not always!) when one of the PC's is either put
    to sleep or turned off, the Internet connection to the other is lost.
    * I can still connect to the router from either PC (e.g. I can point
    a browser to http://192.168.0.1 and see the configuration page), but
    cannot access any outside Internet resources (ftp servers, telnet,
    www, etc).

    THE REALLY STRANGE PART (FROM MY UNKNOWLEDGEABLE POSITION):

    It (sometimes) appears to be related to which OS is running on one of
    the machines. For example, just today the laptop lid was closed,
    putting it to sleep, and the other machine (running Linux) lost it's
    connection. I restarted the Linux machine to see if that would get
    the connection up again. Didn't work. I ran
    "/etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart" as root. Didn't work. I restarted
    the router. You guessed it: didn't work. So I then restarted into
    Windows. Whalah! The connection worked in Windows. So I restarted
    into Linux again and, what do you know, the connection was not
    working. I ran "/etc/... ...restart" again, to no avail. Then, when
    I openned the lid on the laptop to wake it up, the Linux Internet
    connection magically came to life again.

    Sometimes also, when the Linux machine is powered off, the XP laptop
    loses it's connection. However, restarting the router usually pulls
    it back up.

    How do I stop my connections from getting dropped? As you can
    imagine, this gets really annoying. Accolades, laurels, kudos, and
    praise to anyone who can help point me in the right direction.

    !! PLEASE let me know if I can add any more information to the above
    to help solve this problem.

    Thanks!

    * In case you're wondering, I do use the router's wireless features
    from time to time; but more rarely. This is with a Mac Titanium
    Powerbook running OS X. The same problems occur. But since I don't
    use that very often (it's a computer from work that I rarely bring
    home), I left it out to simplify the explanation of the problem.
    Usually, however, the wireless feature is turned off.

  2. Re: router dropping internet connections

    I don't if this will be of any help, but I have a Belkin Wireless
    router and My Internet Connection kept dropping out after 5 minutes.
    However, I then discovered this was only happening when there was no
    activity on the Internet Connection. It was like I needed to keep
    going between sites for the connection to stay alive. I then
    discovered a setting on the Web Based configuration page
    (http://192.168.2.1) that there was a setting that would disconnect
    the Internet Connection after 5 minutes.
    I have now changed this to 20 minutes as I liketo have the connection
    off when I am not using it.

    Anyway, this problem probably isn't as simple as that, but it might
    help.

    -----------------

    pinyinyang@yahoo.com (PinYinYang) wrote in message news:<85c2b9fd.0405041318.2fbe6a20@posting.google.com>...
    > THIS PROBLEM INVOLVES:
    >
    > * Netgear WGR614 802.11g Wireless Router (wireless feature usually
    > turned off).
    > * One Gateway tower running Linux (Fedora Core 1) / Win XP;
    > dual-boot.
    > * One Dell laptop running Win XP.
    > * Cable Internet connection: Road Runner.
    >

    > THE CONTEXT OF THE PROBLEM:
    >
    > * Both PCs are plugged into the router via ethernet cables.
    > * The router is updated with the most recent firmware.
    > * Occasionally, (but not always!) when one of the PC's is either put
    > to sleep or turned off, the Internet connection to the other is lost.
    > * I can still connect to the router from either PC (e.g. I can point
    > a browser to http://192.168.0.1 and see the configuration page), but
    > cannot access any outside Internet resources (ftp servers, telnet,
    > www, etc).
    >

    > THE REALLY STRANGE PART (FROM MY UNKNOWLEDGEABLE POSITION):
    >
    > It (sometimes) appears to be related to which OS is running on one of
    > the machines. For example, just today the laptop lid was closed,
    > putting it to sleep, and the other machine (running Linux) lost it's
    > connection. I restarted the Linux machine to see if that would get
    > the connection up again. Didn't work. I ran
    > "/etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart" as root. Didn't work. I restarted
    > the router. You guessed it: didn't work. So I then restarted into
    > Windows. Whalah! The connection worked in Windows. So I restarted
    > into Linux again and, what do you know, the connection was not
    > working. I ran "/etc/... ...restart" again, to no avail. Then, when
    > I openned the lid on the laptop to wake it up, the Linux Internet
    > connection magically came to life again.
    >
    > Sometimes also, when the Linux machine is powered off, the XP laptop
    > loses it's connection. However, restarting the router usually pulls
    > it back up.
    >
    > How do I stop my connections from getting dropped? As you can
    > imagine, this gets really annoying. Accolades, laurels, kudos, and
    > praise to anyone who can help point me in the right direction.
    >
    > !! PLEASE let me know if I can add any more information to the above
    > to help solve this problem.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > * In case you're wondering, I do use the router's wireless features
    > from time to time; but more rarely. This is with a Mac Titanium
    > Powerbook running OS X. The same problems occur. But since I don't
    > use that very often (it's a computer from work that I rarely bring
    > home), I left it out to simplify the explanation of the problem.
    > Usually, however, the wireless feature is turned off.

  3. Re: router dropping internet connections

    jazzy_jeff_81@btinternet.com (Jeff) wrote in message news:...
    > I don't if this will be of any help, but I have a Belkin Wireless
    > router and My Internet Connection kept dropping out after 5 minutes.
    > However, I then discovered this was only happening when there was no
    > activity on the Internet Connection. It was like I needed to keep
    > going between sites for the connection to stay alive. I then
    > discovered a setting on the Web Based configuration page
    > (http://192.168.2.1) that there was a setting that would disconnect
    > the Internet Connection after 5 minutes.
    > I have now changed this to 20 minutes as I liketo have the connection
    > off when I am not using it.
    >
    > Anyway, this problem probably isn't as simple as that, but it might
    > help.

    Thanks Jeff. I looked at NetGear's admin page but I didn't see
    anything related to timeouts on the connection. I did a little
    experimenting and it really does seem to be related to when an
    attached device powers off or gets put to sleep. Just now, for
    example, I was working on the tower, running XP, and I put the laptop
    to sleep-- this caused the XP to lose its connection.

    On a related note, I don't want these gripes to be much of a knock on
    NetGear. Other than this, I have been very happy with the performance
    of this router.

  4. Re: router dropping internet connections [FOLLOWUP]

    I -think- I solved this problem, but I'm not sure why. Can anyone
    explain to me why this happened, or how it was fixed this way? I'll
    explain first what I did, then add a few questions that I have.

    =====:SINCE MY LAST POSTING:=====

    (1) I FINALLY realized that I was not entirely losing my Internet
    connection when the described situation occured. Instead, I was just
    losing my DNS (newbie mistake, I know). I realized that I was able to
    ping the other machine on the network as well as to see the webpage at
    198.65.117.133 through Mozilla, but not when I typed the domain name,
    "ping.com". Thus, I searched the newsgroups for any info related to
    Linux, DNS, connection, nameserver, netgear router, etc.

    (2) I wound up simply opening the Network Configuration panel and
    clicking "Automatically obtain DNS from provider" under the eth0
    profile. I rebooted, and it worked.

    (3) Now, when the laptop is powered off, the tower doesn't behave as
    described above.

    =====:MY QUESTIONS:=====

    (1) Is it possible that when Linux was starting up, it was
    accidentally pointing to the XP laptop on the LAN as a DNS server (or
    something more technically stated, like that) instead of through the
    router to Road Runner's DNS server? This, I thought, might be why I
    was losing DNS when the laptop was powered off or went to sleep.

    (2) Since I copped out and used the GUI to configure my network and
    turn on "automatically obtain DNS from provider", I don't know exactly
    what it did. Can you explain to me what files were affected and how
    I could go about effecting this same change via a terminal command
    line in the future?

    (3) Is this entirely a Linux-side issue? Or is there something awry
    inside my router that would have had a hand in this? I'm guessing
    Linux because I was able to alternatively reboot into Linux and XP on
    my dual-boot machine and Linux was the only one without DNS (see
    initial posting).

    Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me some info here. You'll
    certainly help me, and hopefully a few others like me (newbies, that
    is), gain insight into what's going on under the hood.

+ Reply to Thread