Re: Host Name vs. NetBIOS Name? - Network

This is a discussion on Re: Host Name vs. NetBIOS Name? - Network ; Isn't a NetBIOS name, a name that Windows NT can translate. Example: Windows 2000 would see a domain name as EXAMPLE.COM, but Windows NT would see it as EXAMPLE. I don't know if I'm right but I just assumed this. ...

  1. Re: Host Name vs. NetBIOS Name?

    "Mick" wrote in message news:...
    > I've read some conflicting info in a networking book about what the
    > "Computer Name" in Windows actually is, i.e. is it the NetBIOS name or the
    > Host Name? So on my machine (running XP home), I changed the Computer Name
    > in the System Properties Tab. After reboot, I ran IPCONFIG /ALL, and
    > whataya know, the "Host Name" had changed to the new Computer Name. Okay,
    > so Computer Name means Host Name. But what about NetBIOS name? Where would
    > I find that? TIA.
    > ---Mick

  2. Re: Host Name vs. NetBIOS Name?

    The Example.com example, i believe your referring to Active Directory.

    Getting really technical read this...

    NetBIOS Specification

    1. Overview
    Go to Index

    Names
    For communication between stations of a network, each station is given
    one or more names. These names are alphanumeric names, 16 characters
    in length, and should be ASCIIZ form - that is the last byte should be
    00h. There are two types of names:

    Unique names - these may only be used by one station on the entire
    network. If someone else tries to use a unique name, the network is
    first checked to ensure that the name requested is not already in use.
    A good example of a unique name, is the name a station uses to connect
    and communicate with the server. This is usually the station name.
    Group names - these may be used by as many stations at once as you
    want. When you request the addition of a group name, it must not
    already be in use as a unique name anywhere on the network, but it can
    be is use as many times as required as a group name. A good example of
    the use of group names is a talk program. Each station has its own
    unique name from which to send messages, but it sends messages to a
    global group name so all stations can see the messages. (Note: I am
    currently writing a NetBIOS/IPX talk program, which I will release as
    shareware in the coming months - wait out for it in the Free software
    section.
    Communication
    Each station has a number of names, through which it communicates with
    other stations on the network. There are two types of communication
    within NetBIOS - connectionless and connection-orientated. The two
    types will now be described:

    Connectionless
    A station requests that some data is sent in the form of a datagram.
    All other stations are continually checking the network for datagrams,
    to see if they apply to themselves. If they do, the message is
    received. However, there is no form of handshaking, or
    acknowledgement, so it is not guaranteed that all stations on the
    network will receive the message as intended. However, in my
    experience, the message is received all but a few times in many
    thousands - this may be different on other networks.

    Datagrams can be addressed to other stations in two ways:

    Specific - a name is specified to send the datagram to (the name may
    be a unique of group name) - if the software is waiting for a message
    on that particular name it will be received
    Broadcast - the message is sent to all stations - if the software is
    waiting for a broadcast datagram it will be received
    Note that the message will only be received, if you have programmed
    the station to receive a datagram. Otherwise it will be ignored. The
    specification (below) allows you to request that a datagram be