Building a home network, mixing wired/wireless - Network

This is a discussion on Building a home network, mixing wired/wireless - Network ; I have 7 rooms that I want to network together through a household to share internet access. I can't give specs on the Computers as each is owned by a different person with significantly different set-ups and mine is a ...

  1. Building a home network, mixing wired/wireless

    I have 7 rooms that I want to network together through a household to
    share internet access.

    I can't give specs on the Computers as each is owned by a different
    person with significantly different set-ups and mine is a Powerbook
    G4, the others are Windows machines.

    I am networking through 2 stories from the basement where the cable
    connection enters the house to the loft 2.5 floors up. 2 of the rooms
    are on the 2nd floor, 2 is on the main floor, 2 are in the basement,
    and one is a loft.

    My idea -

    Wireless router in the basement at the point of entry, wireless router
    on the second floor to recieve the signal from the primary in the
    basement, and running cable from the 2nd floor router to the 2 rooms
    and the loft.

    Cable can be run in the basement to the two rooms there, and the main
    floor rooms can be run easily as well. I just don't want to have that
    much cable strung through the place.

    Thoughts? Can two wireless routers or a router and a hub communicate
    with eachother?

    Steven Bitaxi

  2. Re: Building a home network, mixing wired/wireless

    I don't think you need two routers for you network. I'd have the
    router in the basement, and any computers in there can be connected
    via a cable.
    On the second floor instead of a router, I think you'd be better off
    having a Wireless Access point.
    If you go for the new Wireless Turbo G you can have 108Mbs connection.
    Just like having a wired connection.

    steve@ophea.org (Steven Bitaxi) wrote in message news:<17b97bcc.0405040633.144cc6ea@posting.google.com>...
    > I have 7 rooms that I want to network together through a household to
    > share internet access.
    >
    > I can't give specs on the Computers as each is owned by a different
    > person with significantly different set-ups and mine is a Powerbook
    > G4, the others are Windows machines.
    >
    > I am networking through 2 stories from the basement where the cable
    > connection enters the house to the loft 2.5 floors up. 2 of the rooms
    > are on the 2nd floor, 2 is on the main floor, 2 are in the basement,
    > and one is a loft.
    >
    > My idea -
    >
    > Wireless router in the basement at the point of entry, wireless router
    > on the second floor to recieve the signal from the primary in the
    > basement, and running cable from the 2nd floor router to the 2 rooms
    > and the loft.
    >
    > Cable can be run in the basement to the two rooms there, and the main
    > floor rooms can be run easily as well. I just don't want to have that
    > much cable strung through the place.
    >
    > Thoughts? Can two wireless routers or a router and a hub communicate
    > with eachother?
    >
    > Steven Bitaxi

  3. Re: Building a home network, mixing wired/wireless

    Hi,

    How big is your place? Depending on contruction materials/walls, you
    may need just one good quality wireless router, with switching
    capabilities (better, specially if many users will connect to internet
    at same time). Almost all wireless routers have a port to connect to a
    LAN (wired)/Hub, this should not be a problem. If the Wireless router
    is not enough due quality signal becomes poor, just add an Wireless
    Access Point to your second floor.

    Just make sure your choice of hardware support advanced encryption,
    specially if you manage sensitive information.

    Good luck,

    Daniel
    Interdesigner Software Development

    http://www.interdesigner.com
    http://www.networkclipboard.com
    http://www.comparatorfast.com
    http://www.shutdowntools.com

    steve@ophea.org (Steven Bitaxi) wrote in message news:<17b97bcc.0405040633.144cc6ea@posting.google.com>...
    > I have 7 rooms that I want to network together through a household to
    > share internet access.
    >
    > I can't give specs on the Computers as each is owned by a different
    > person with significantly different set-ups and mine is a Powerbook
    > G4, the others are Windows machines.
    >
    > I am networking through 2 stories from the basement where the cable
    > connection enters the house to the loft 2.5 floors up. 2 of the rooms
    > are on the 2nd floor, 2 is on the main floor, 2 are in the basement,
    > and one is a loft.
    >
    > My idea -
    >
    > Wireless router in the basement at the point of entry, wireless router
    > on the second floor to recieve the signal from the primary in the
    > basement, and running cable from the 2nd floor router to the 2 rooms
    > and the loft.
    >
    > Cable can be run in the basement to the two rooms there, and the main
    > floor rooms can be run easily as well. I just don't want to have that
    > much cable strung through the place.
    >
    > Thoughts? Can two wireless routers or a router and a hub communicate
    > with eachother?
    >
    > Steven Bitaxi

  4. Re: Building a home network, mixing wired/wireless

    I have just realized that I neglected a point, my computer is the only
    system that is "wireless ready". All the others are desktops with a
    variety of configurations.

    End goal - network with minimal cabling. I can't suggest that everyone
    in the home get a wireless card, I don't think everyone has a computer
    that is even compatible with the tech and for desktops, aside from
    keeping the place a little more cable free, is not really worthwhile.

    For me - I can go anywhere in the place and still have access (using
    wireless).

    This may change your suggestion.
    Does the Turbo G have several ethernet output ports as well as being
    wireless?

    Would I need a wireless router in the basement to link the network to
    the internet?

    Does the "server" need to have a wireless card in order to bridge the
    network together?

    I am very green at this, please bear with me. Your support is very
    very appreciated.

    jazzy_jeff_81@btinternet.com (Jeff) wrote in message news:...
    > I don't think you need two routers for you network. I'd have the
    > router in the basement, and any computers in there can be connected
    > via a cable.
    > On the second floor instead of a router, I think you'd be better off
    > having a Wireless Access point.
    > If you go for the new Wireless Turbo G you can have 108Mbs connection.
    > Just like having a wired connection.
    >
    > steve@ophea.org (Steven Bitaxi) wrote in message news:<17b97bcc.0405040633.144cc6ea@posting.google.com>...
    > > I have 7 rooms that I want to network together through a household to
    > > share internet access.
    > >
    > > I can't give specs on the Computers as each is owned by a different
    > > person with significantly different set-ups and mine is a Powerbook
    > > G4, the others are Windows machines.
    > >
    > > I am networking through 2 stories from the basement where the cable
    > > connection enters the house to the loft 2.5 floors up. 2 of the rooms
    > > are on the 2nd floor, 2 is on the main floor, 2 are in the basement,
    > > and one is a loft.
    > >
    > > My idea -
    > >
    > > Wireless router in the basement at the point of entry, wireless router
    > > on the second floor to recieve the signal from the primary in the
    > > basement, and running cable from the 2nd floor router to the 2 rooms
    > > and the loft.
    > >
    > > Cable can be run in the basement to the two rooms there, and the main
    > > floor rooms can be run easily as well. I just don't want to have that
    > > much cable strung through the place.
    > >
    > > Thoughts? Can two wireless routers or a router and a hub communicate
    > > with eachother?
    > >
    > > Steven Bitaxi

+ Reply to Thread