Can't connect to my Wireless Router - Network

This is a discussion on Can't connect to my Wireless Router - Network ; Hello, I have had a Belkin 54G Wireless Router with a built in modem for a about 3 months now, and I have never been able to get my Server to connect to it. I have 2 Desktop PC's, one ...

  1. Can't connect to my Wireless Router

    Hello,

    I have had a Belkin 54G Wireless Router with a built in modem for a
    about 3 months now, and I have never been able to get my Server to
    connect to it.

    I have 2 Desktop PC's, one running Windows 2000 Professional, and the
    other runs Windows 2000 Advanced Server. My Windows 2000 Professional
    PC can connect to the router fine, and is always assigned an IP
    Address of 192.168.2.13 from the DHCP Server (which I assume is built
    into the router). My Server has a Static IP address, so it doesn't
    need to be assigned an IP address. Also, I don't have DHCP installed
    on my Server, though I do have DNS installed.

    On my Windows 2000 Professional PC, I can connect to the Internet
    fine. To connect I just open up Internet Explorer and type in the
    following address:

    http://192.168.2.1
    I then type in a password, and click on a connect button.

    When I try and do this on my Server, the page just times out, and says
    'Page cannot be displayed'.
    I tried to ping the router, but I got a 'Request timed out' message.
    I then tried pinging the PC that I know can connect to the Internet
    ok. Again, I got a 'Request timed out' message.

    If I ping the router from my Windows 2000 Professional PC I get a
    successful reply.

    I don't know what to try to get my Server to connect with my router. I
    have bought a new Network card, and this doesn't work. I have changed
    over LAN cables, and these don't work either. I have reinstalled
    Windows 2000 Advanced Server numerous times, but this doesn't do
    anything to help

    I also have two Laptops (Windows 2000 Pro and Windows XP Home) with
    Wireless network cards, and these can connect to the router and
    Internet fine as well.

    Any help on this would be much appreciated!
    If more information is needed, please let me know.

  2. Re: Can't connect to my Wireless Router

    jazzy_jeff_81@btinternet.com (Jeff) wrote in message news:...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have had a Belkin 54G Wireless Router with a built in modem for a
    > about 3 months now, and I have never been able to get my Server to
    > connect to it.
    >
    > I have 2 Desktop PC's, one running Windows 2000 Professional, and the
    > other runs Windows 2000 Advanced Server. My Windows 2000 Professional
    > PC can connect to the router fine, and is always assigned an IP
    > Address of 192.168.2.13 from the DHCP Server (which I assume is built
    > into the router). My Server has a Static IP address, so it doesn't
    > need to be assigned an IP address. Also, I don't have DHCP installed
    > on my Server, though I do have DNS installed.
    >
    > On my Windows 2000 Professional PC, I can connect to the Internet
    > fine. To connect I just open up Internet Explorer and type in the
    > following address:
    >
    > http://192.168.2.1
    > I then type in a password, and click on a connect button.
    >
    > When I try and do this on my Server, the page just times out, and says
    > 'Page cannot be displayed'.
    > I tried to ping the router, but I got a 'Request timed out' message.
    > I then tried pinging the PC that I know can connect to the Internet
    > ok. Again, I got a 'Request timed out' message.
    >
    > If I ping the router from my Windows 2000 Professional PC I get a
    > successful reply.
    >
    > I don't know what to try to get my Server to connect with my router. I
    > have bought a new Network card, and this doesn't work. I have changed
    > over LAN cables, and these don't work either. I have reinstalled
    > Windows 2000 Advanced Server numerous times, but this doesn't do
    > anything to help
    >
    > I also have two Laptops (Windows 2000 Pro and Windows XP Home) with
    > Wireless network cards, and these can connect to the router and
    > Internet fine as well.
    >
    > Any help on this would be much appreciated!
    > If more information is needed, please let me know.

    This is a simple problem, if I understand the issue correctly.

    The static IP address of the Windows 2000 Server is incorrect. It must
    be in the form 192.168.2.X where X is a number between 100-254. I'm
    assuming that the Belkin router's DHCP range is from 1-99, so
    addresses over 100 are available for the static IP range. This is
    normally the case with these routers.

    Sujit D'Mello

+ Reply to Thread