Re: LAN is slowing down the machine - Network

This is a discussion on Re: LAN is slowing down the machine - Network ; Do you experience "not responding" only when connected to the network? there are some reasons for that and one is when your hardisk is starting to fail.. I encountered it many times.. and after replacing the hardisk with a new ...

  1. Re: LAN is slowing down the machine

    Do you experience "not responding" only when connected to the network?

    there are some reasons for that and one is when your hardisk is
    starting to fail.. I encountered it many times.. and after
    replacing the hardisk with a new one (ghost the hardisk to a new one)
    problem solved..

    "Dora Winifred" wrote in message news:...
    > I agree with strider.
    >
    > Make sure your Antivirus is up to date and that your computer has been
    > scanned. A great tool from Symantec lets you scan your PC from their end.
    > Click the 'check for security risks' logo in the mid-right section of this
    > page: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/
    > It won't get rid of the virus or trojan, but will let you know if you do
    > have one.
    >
    > Next check for spyware with Ad-aware and Spybot - Search & Destroy. I find
    > they complement each other well. Make sure your up to date with your
    > definitions. Both these softwares can be found on http://www.download.com .
    >
    > Before going to bed, Clean up your computer by deleting temp files, cache,
    > cookies,... and run a good old Disk Defragmenter. You can find these in
    > System tools on XP.
    >
    > Good Luck,
    >
    > Dora
    >

    > "Blaz Ziherl" wrote in message
    > news:9d318fd9.0404280532.2f2d712f@posting.google.c om...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > some tasks in Windows XP become unreasonable time consuming when I
    > > connect my computer to my home LAN network. My computer starts to
    > > send/receive unknown data from LAN network, whenever I do different
    > > types of tasks, such as beginning to download something (using IE),
    > > visiting compose page in Yahoo Mail, or msdn.microsoft.com libraries,
    > > when I wish to listen a CD with Media Player, etc... That LAN data
    > > sending/receiving puts active application in "not responding" mode for
    > > a minute or two, which is extremely irritating.
    > >
    > > Has anyone noticed anything similar or has any ideas what could
    > > possibly be going on on my computer?
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Blaz Ziherl
    > > blaz.ziherl@abraxas.si

  2. Re: LAN is slowing down the machine

    Thanks for the replies, guys. I did a complete anti-virus,
    anti-spyware checks with the latest software and latest virus and
    spyware definitions installed, and there was nothing unusual on my
    computer...moreover...I do this kind of checks at least once per every
    week. So there really are no spywares, adwares or viruses on my
    computer. I have also deleted all TEMP files, and have defragmented my
    disk, as you have recommended. Still......have the same problems

    @ cxxxkies: yeap, these problems appear only when connected to LAN.
    Did you have such problems when not connected to the LAN as well? Do
    you reckon, I should consider buying a new hard drive?

    Regards,
    Blaz Ziherl
    blaz.ziherl@abraxas.si

  3. Re: LAN is slowing down the machine

    OK,

    I have WinXP and I get slowed down by a process called "helpsvc.exe"
    (or something like that). It takes up a lot of CPU time. I believe
    it is a Windows bug ( what are the odds

    Startup your task manager (user cntrl-alt-del) or right mouse click on
    the task bar. Under processes, sort on CPU. Then look the process
    eating the CPU. If it is "helpsvc.exe", "End the Process".

    Later,
    Stacy of Peersites.com

  4. Re: LAN is slowing down the machine

    spiderhere@peersites.com (David) wrote in message news:<9281e6d2.0405022035.723cd889@posting.google.com>...
    > OK,
    >
    > I have WinXP and I get slowed down by a process called "helpsvc.exe"
    > (or something like that). It takes up a lot of CPU time. I believe
    > it is a Windows bug ( what are the odds
    >
    > Startup your task manager (user cntrl-alt-del) or right mouse click on
    > the task bar. Under processes, sort on CPU. Then look the process
    > eating the CPU. If it is "helpsvc.exe", "End the Process".
    >
    > Later,
    > Stacy of Peersites.com

    I have also had problems with this f***ing helpsvc.exe-process.

    You may try, like I did, "Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services"
    doubleclick on "Help and Support" and set its startup state to "Inactivated".

    This means it will never start

  5. Re: LAN is slowing down the machine

    Haven't found Helpsvc.exe service in the Task Manager, so I guess it's
    not running. It must be something else. Ghrrrrr....anyway, did find
    out that the same symptoms also appear if I run "Help and Support"
    from the "Start" menu. It starts sending some unknown data over my LAN
    network......strange that is!

    I guess it has to do something with the Internet Explorer, cause
    obviously I get this strange behaviour every time I run something that
    uses IE one way or another. Either it displays CD info (in the Windows
    Media Player) or online help (in the MS Visual Studio.NET). Another
    strange thing is that if I run IE itself, it doesn't do that, unless I
    start downloading something. Nevertheless it's really annoying cause
    it makes many tasks extremely time consuming!

    Regards,
    Blaz Ziherl
    blaz.ziherl@abraxas.si

+ Reply to Thread