Problems setting up wireless router w/DSL - Network

This is a discussion on Problems setting up wireless router w/DSL - Network ; I've recently subscribed to Verizon's DSL service, and am attempting to set up a wireless network using Linksys components. Both computers are running Windows XP. Problem #1: I can get the DSL connection to work if the DSL modem (Westell ...

  1. Problems setting up wireless router w/DSL

    I've recently subscribed to Verizon's DSL service, and am attempting
    to set up a wireless network using Linksys components. Both computers
    are running Windows XP.

    Problem #1: I can get the DSL connection to work if the DSL modem
    (Westell 2200) is connected directly to the Ethernet port, but it
    won't connect through the router (Linksys Wireless-B Broadband Router,
    Model #BEFW11S4). I'm sure it's a problem with settings/configuration,
    but I don't know exactly what. I've fiddled with some things, but have
    had no success -- would appreciate any suggestions.

    Problem #2: I can't access the router configuration screen, which
    should be available at http://192.168.1.1. I was initially able to
    access it, but I'm now getting a dialog box that says "Web Page
    Unavailable While Offline". My only two options are to connect (can't
    do it, since I can't get my connection to work through the router) or
    stay offline, which locks me out of the configuration screen. I don't
    know what's changed that's causing this to happen, and don't know what
    to do to restore the ability to open the configuration screen without
    getting this dialog box -- clicking Work Offline on the File menu in
    Internet Explorer (version 6) makes no difference, and I don't know
    what else to try.

    I'd appreciate any suggestions -- please let me know if I've left out
    any important information and I'll fill in the blanks. Thanks in
    advance for any help!

  2. Re: Problems setting up wireless router w/DSL

    laurie@swanharbor.com (Laurie) wrote in message news:<13d3e082.0405011000.49a3e491@posting.google.com>...
    > I've recently subscribed to Verizon's DSL service, and am attempting
    > to set up a wireless network using Linksys components. Both computers
    > are running Windows XP.
    >
    > Problem #1: I can get the DSL connection to work if the DSL modem
    > (Westell 2200) is connected directly to the Ethernet port, but it
    > won't connect through the router (Linksys Wireless-B Broadband Router,
    > Model #BEFW11S4). I'm sure it's a problem with settings/configuration,
    > but I don't know exactly what. I've fiddled with some things, but have
    > had no success -- would appreciate any suggestions.
    >
    > Problem #2: I can't access the router configuration screen, which
    > should be available at http://192.168.1.1. I was initially able to
    > access it, but I'm now getting a dialog box that says "Web Page
    > Unavailable While Offline". My only two options are to connect (can't
    > do it, since I can't get my connection to work through the router) or
    > stay offline, which locks me out of the configuration screen. I don't
    > know what's changed that's causing this to happen, and don't know what
    > to do to restore the ability to open the configuration screen without
    > getting this dialog box -- clicking Work Offline on the File menu in
    > Internet Explorer (version 6) makes no difference, and I don't know
    > what else to try.
    >
    > I'd appreciate any suggestions -- please let me know if I've left out
    > any important information and I'll fill in the blanks. Thanks in
    > advance for any help!

    First make sure you connect the cable modem and PC to the correct
    ethernet ports at the back of the router. They all look the same and
    it's easy to get them confused. If you are sure about these
    connections, then look below.

    You can try to 'reset' the router, look at the manual, there is
    normally some procedure to restore it to the factory settings. I have
    a D-Link which has a little pin hole through which I must insert a
    paper-clip and power up at the same time to restore the factory
    settings.

    Once you do this you should be able to get to the Admin website and
    then configure the DSL settings. Mostly, you just have to enter your
    User-ID and Password that was assigned by Verizon.

    Sujit D'Mello

+ Reply to Thread