DSL distribution over LAN problem - Network

This is a discussion on DSL distribution over LAN problem - Network ; I have 2 pc running WinXp Pro SP1 connected through a 5port switch. I have a DSL modem connected on the hub but it only gives internet access to the pc that is dialing. The LAN connection is not lost ...

  1. DSL distribution over LAN problem

    I have 2 pc running WinXp Pro SP1 connected through a 5port switch. I
    have a DSL modem connected on the hub but it only gives internet
    access to the pc that is dialing. The LAN connection is not lost when
    dialing, but the 2nd pc can't access the internet, even though it
    recognizes the shared internet connection. no firewalls are installed
    on any of the pc's and the intergrated firewall of WinXP is turned
    off. any thoughts on this?

  2. Re: DSL distribution over LAN problem

    AgamemnonTR wrote:
    > I have 2 pc running WinXp Pro SP1 connected through a 5port switch. I
    > have a DSL modem connected on the hub but it only gives internet
    > access to the pc that is dialing. The LAN connection is not lost when
    > dialing, but the 2nd pc can't access the internet, even though it
    > recognizes the shared internet connection. no firewalls are installed
    > on any of the pc's and the intergrated firewall of WinXP is turned
    > off. any thoughts on this?

    If you have a DSL modem (implying ADSL service), why is it necessary to
    dial.

    Are you using ICS(Microsoft's Internet Connection Sharing)?

    Better to get a cheap router and let it handle the modem and the network.

    If you are using BellSouth's Westell modem, it is a router, and all you
    will need to do is configure it properly.

  3. Re: DSL distribution over LAN problem

    > If you have a DSL modem (implying ADSL service), why is it necessary to
    > dial.
    >
    > Are you using ICS(Microsoft's Internet Connection Sharing)?
    >
    > Better to get a cheap router and let it handle the modem and the network.
    >
    > If you are using BellSouth's Westell modem, it is a router, and all you
    > will need to do is configure it properly.

    I'm using a prog called NetVoyager to access my isp using user name
    and password (not exactly using the line to dial, but close ). how
    do I find if I'm using ICS? my modem is a cheap siemens xpresslink
    that I got from the isp and I don't think it's a router. do I need to
    buy a router to make this work, or can I use something else? I just
    blew my budjet over the dsl instalation, cables, switches etc and I
    don't think a router is possible at this time...

  4. Re: DSL distribution over LAN problem

    AgamemnonTR wrote:
    >>If you have a DSL modem (implying ADSL service), why is it necessary to
    >>dial.
    >>
    >>Are you using ICS(Microsoft's Internet Connection Sharing)?
    >>
    >>Better to get a cheap router and let it handle the modem and the network.
    >>
    >>If you are using BellSouth's Westell modem, it is a router, and all you
    >>will need to do is configure it properly.

    > I'm using a prog called NetVoyager to access my isp using user name
    > and password (not exactly using the line to dial, but close ). how
    > do I find if I'm using ICS? my modem is a cheap siemens xpresslink
    > that I got from the isp and I don't think it's a router. do I need to
    > buy a router to make this work, or can I use something else? I just
    > blew my budjet over the dsl instalation, cables, switches etc and I
    > don't think a router is possible at this time...

    I don't know. I'm not familiar with anything like that. Usually the
    modem handles the connection, unless you want a router to do that. Don't
    know of any system which requires you to run any software on your system.

  5. Re: DSL distribution over LAN problem

    I did some more snooping and found out that the internet connection is
    working on the 2nd pc on just about any protocol and all file sharing
    programs, yet it doesn't work with html. internet explorer is still
    not loading any sites. I looked at options=>connections and it's not
    recognising the shared connection in explorer... could it be some
    setting from explorer?

  6. Re: DSL distribution over LAN problem

    found it!
    all it needed was SP1 on both pc's.....
    apparently there wasn't a sp on the 1st that did the dialing...

+ Reply to Thread