Dropping wireless connection--interference from neighbor?? - Network

This is a discussion on Dropping wireless connection--interference from neighbor?? - Network ; For a few days now I have seen someone else's wireless network appear along with mine in my network settings choices. I use mine only to share an internet connection. I do not share files or any printers, just the ...

  1. Dropping wireless connection--interference from neighbor??

    For a few days now I have seen someone else's wireless network appear along
    with mine in my network settings choices. I use mine only to share an
    internet connection. I do not share files or any printers, just the router
    connected to my DSL modem. While I am not too concerned about security (btw
    I am using WEP encryption) I HAVE noticed that my laptop's internet
    connection will drop often enough to make things ugly. I will usually have
    to go into the settings and get the connection to enable once again.

    I am wondering...since this has started happening ever since I began
    noticing the neighbor's network listed, that maybe his wireless connection
    is interfering with mine and my computers are having trouble selecting the
    correct one to go with. So, is there a way I can get my computers to ignore
    his connection and just always choose and stay with my own?

  2. Re: Dropping wireless connection--interference from neighbor??

    Most routers will allow you to change the channel they are operating on.
    Check your documentation for details.

    "Jay A" wrote in message
    > For a few days now I have seen someone else's wireless network appear

    along
    > with mine in my network settings choices. I use mine only to share an
    > internet connection. I do not share files or any printers, just the router
    > connected to my DSL modem. While I am not too concerned about security

    (btw
    > I am using WEP encryption) I HAVE noticed that my laptop's internet
    > connection will drop often enough to make things ugly. I will usually have
    > to go into the settings and get the connection to enable once again.
    >
    > I am wondering...since this has started happening ever since I began
    > noticing the neighbor's network listed, that maybe his wireless connection
    > is interfering with mine and my computers are having trouble selecting the
    > correct one to go with. So, is there a way I can get my computers to

    ignore
    > his connection and just always choose and stay with my own?

  3. Re: Dropping wireless connection--interference from neighbor??

    Well thanks, but all that chaning the channel seems to do is make it
    impossible for me to even connect with my own network at all!

    "Chris" wrote in message
    > Most routers will allow you to change the channel they are operating on.
    > Check your documentation for details.
    >
    > "Jay A" wrote in message
    > > For a few days now I have seen someone else's wireless network appear

    > along
    > > with mine in my network settings choices. I use mine only to share an
    > > internet connection. I do not share files or any printers, just the

    router
    > > connected to my DSL modem. While I am not too concerned about security

    > (btw
    > > I am using WEP encryption) I HAVE noticed that my laptop's internet
    > > connection will drop often enough to make things ugly. I will usually

    have
    > > to go into the settings and get the connection to enable once again.
    > >
    > > I am wondering...since this has started happening ever since I began
    > > noticing the neighbor's network listed, that maybe his wireless

    connection
    > > is interfering with mine and my computers are having trouble selecting

    the
    > > correct one to go with. So, is there a way I can get my computers to

    > ignore
    > > his connection and just always choose and stay with my own?

  4. Re: Dropping wireless connection--interference from neighbor??

    Jay A wrote:
    > For a few days now I have seen someone else's wireless network appear along
    > with mine in my network settings choices. I use mine only to share an
    > internet connection. I do not share files or any printers, just the router
    > connected to my DSL modem. While I am not too concerned about security (btw
    > I am using WEP encryption) I HAVE noticed that my laptop's internet
    > connection will drop often enough to make things ugly. I will usually have
    > to go into the settings and get the connection to enable once again.
    >
    > I am wondering...since this has started happening ever since I began
    > noticing the neighbor's network listed, that maybe his wireless connection
    > is interfering with mine and my computers are having trouble selecting the
    > correct one to go with. So, is there a way I can get my computers to ignore
    > his connection and just always choose and stay with my own?

    Difficult to advise without more information on equipment, OS, etc.

    Do your wireless cards have an available versus preferred networks area?

    Example: If windows XP is managing the connection, right clicking on the
    connection and selecting Properties, then selecting the Wireless
    Networks tab will display a Preferred networks box. If you remove any
    network except your own from that box then click the Advanced button and
    uncheck the 'Automatically connect to non-preferred networks' box, that
    should prevent your card from connecting to other networks.

  5. Re: Dropping wireless connection--interference from neighbor??

    Well, that's exactly how I have it configured. I AM using Windows XP and
    have no network listed in the preferred area. The 'automatically connect to
    non-preferred networks' box is UNchecked. It's not that my computers will
    connect to the other network, they just keep losing the connection to my
    network. I am only assuming that the reason has something to do with the
    other network because this problem has only started happening since I first
    discovered the other network listed just a few days ago. It is getting very
    annoying.

    "Jerry Park" wrote in message
    news:gA92c.59300$Tn.41363@bignews5.bellsouth.net.. .
    > Jay A wrote:
    > > For a few days now I have seen someone else's wireless network appear

    along
    > > with mine in my network settings choices. I use mine only to share an
    > > internet connection. I do not share files or any printers, just the

    router
    > > connected to my DSL modem. While I am not too concerned about security

    (btw
    > > I am using WEP encryption) I HAVE noticed that my laptop's internet
    > > connection will drop often enough to make things ugly. I will usually

    have
    > > to go into the settings and get the connection to enable once again.
    > >
    > > I am wondering...since this has started happening ever since I began
    > > noticing the neighbor's network listed, that maybe his wireless

    connection
    > > is interfering with mine and my computers are having trouble selecting

    the
    > > correct one to go with. So, is there a way I can get my computers to

    ignore
    > > his connection and just always choose and stay with my own?
    > >

    > Difficult to advise without more information on equipment, OS, etc.
    >
    > Do your wireless cards have an available versus preferred networks area?
    >
    > Example: If windows XP is managing the connection, right clicking on the
    > connection and selecting Properties, then selecting the Wireless
    > Networks tab will display a Preferred networks box. If you remove any
    > network except your own from that box then click the Advanced button and
    > uncheck the 'Automatically connect to non-preferred networks' box, that
    > should prevent your card from connecting to other networks.

  6. Re: Dropping wireless connection--interference from neighbor??

    BTW I am using a Linksys 802.11g wireless router. My desktop is wired to
    this router and I have 4 other computers (3 PCs and 1 Mac). I can be working
    along with "excellent" signal strength at any one given moment and all of a
    sudden I will see the warning appear that I have lost the connection. It
    seems to happen for no apparent reason. If I click on the icon in the tray I
    can reconnect easily enough but obviously something is wrong and it is very
    annoying.

    "Jay A" wrote in message
    > Well, that's exactly how I have it configured. I AM using Windows XP and
    > have no network listed in the preferred area. The 'automatically connect

    > non-preferred networks' box is UNchecked. It's not that my computers will
    > connect to the other network, they just keep losing the connection to my
    > network. I am only assuming that the reason has something to do with the
    > other network because this problem has only started happening since I

    first
    > discovered the other network listed just a few days ago. It is getting

    very
    > annoying.
    >

    > "Jerry Park" wrote in message
    > news:gA92c.59300$Tn.41363@bignews5.bellsouth.net.. .
    > > Jay A wrote:
    > > > For a few days now I have seen someone else's wireless network appear

    > along
    > > > with mine in my network settings choices. I use mine only to share an
    > > > internet connection. I do not share files or any printers, just the

    > router
    > > > connected to my DSL modem. While I am not too concerned about security

    > (btw
    > > > I am using WEP encryption) I HAVE noticed that my laptop's internet
    > > > connection will drop often enough to make things ugly. I will usually

    > have
    > > > to go into the settings and get the connection to enable once again.
    > > >
    > > > I am wondering...since this has started happening ever since I began
    > > > noticing the neighbor's network listed, that maybe his wireless

    > connection
    > > > is interfering with mine and my computers are having trouble selecting

    > the
    > > > correct one to go with. So, is there a way I can get my computers to

    > ignore
    > > > his connection and just always choose and stay with my own?
    > > >

    > > Difficult to advise without more information on equipment, OS, etc.
    > >
    > > Do your wireless cards have an available versus preferred networks area?
    > >
    > > Example: If windows XP is managing the connection, right clicking on the
    > > connection and selecting Properties, then selecting the Wireless
    > > Networks tab will display a Preferred networks box. If you remove any
    > > network except your own from that box then click the Advanced button and
    > > uncheck the 'Automatically connect to non-preferred networks' box, that
    > > should prevent your card from connecting to other networks.

  7. Re: Dropping wireless connection--interference from neighbor??

    Hmmm, I may have just discovered something....on a hunch, I uninstalled AOL
    on this laptop and as of yet, I have not lost any connection!! The ONLY
    other thing I have done recently is install AOL on these computers a few
    days ago. I am almost beginning to wonder if THAT was causing the problems.
    It's only been about 15 minutes or so where I have not had AOL installed on
    this machine, but before doing the uninstall, I had been dropping the
    connection by this time.

    Anybody have any insight?

  8. Re: Dropping wireless connection--interference from neighbor??

    Sounds like you may have it licked but here was my problem and the fix sent
    by Nathan.

    My problem . . .

    My printer and two other computers are connected via Ethernet and have no
    connection problems.
    The laptop, a Toshiba with integrated wireless is constantly telling me that
    the wireless connection is not available.
    It's running XP Home.
    About every three minutes I'm forced to manually reconnect.
    As soon as I reconnect I'm told that my signal strength is excellent.
    I would think that excellent signal strength would indicate that
    disconnecting would be rare but this seems not to be the case.
    The laptop does this regardless of whether I'm five feet from the router or
    upstairs at a distance of approximately twenty feet.
    Is this normal ?
    Are there any fixes.
    Thanks if you have any ideas

    And Nathan's fix . . .

    Hey there,

    I think I know what's going on. I had a similar issue with my
    wireless network. I think you have your wireless connection set for
    Network Authentication. Mine would cycle, connecting for a while then
    disconnecting. It was strange. I'm not sure if you can set this in
    XP Home but you can in XP Pro. Go to Start ==> Control Panel. Double
    click the Network Connections icon. In the window that appears,
    right-click the wireless connection and select properties. Select the
    Wireless Networks tab. In this tab, select your network in the
    'Preferred Networks' Area if neccessary. Click the 'Properties'
    button. Uncheck the box next to Network Authentication. Click OK on
    the bottom. Click OK in the remaining window.

    This fixed my problem. I made the mistake of associating
    authentication using WEP with Network Authentication. Oh well, I hope
    this helps you. By the way, I wrote these instructions for the new
    start menu in XP, not the 'Classic Start Menu'. Good luck with all
    this.

    Sincerely,
    Nathan Sutton

    And my efforts with XP Home . . .

    I found it I think.

    As I'm using XP home it was perhaps a little different.

    Under "Wireless Properties" " Authentication" . . . . I unchecked "Enable
    IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network.
    When checked, this allows me the "EAP type" option of Smart Card or other
    certificate OR
    Protected EAP (PEAP)

    Anyways . . I unchecked it and so far in the last ten minutes I haven't had
    to reset my connection once.
    I believe you've done it.
    Thank you . .Thank you . .Thank you . .Thank you . .Thank you . .Thank you .

    Final note . . . .

    I've been online with no problems since then.

    "Jay A" wrote in message
    > Hmmm, I may have just discovered something....on a hunch, I uninstalled

    AOL
    > on this laptop and as of yet, I have not lost any connection!! The ONLY
    > other thing I have done recently is install AOL on these computers a few
    > days ago. I am almost beginning to wonder if THAT was causing the

    problems.
    > It's only been about 15 minutes or so where I have not had AOL installed

    on
    > this machine, but before doing the uninstall, I had been dropping the
    > connection by this time.
    >
    > Anybody have any insight?

  9. Re: Dropping wireless connection--interference from neighbor??

    "JP" wrote in message
    > Sounds like you may have it licked but here was my problem and the fix

    sent
    > by Nathan.

    Well, when I uninstalled AOL I also did a system restore and brought
    everything back to the way it had been a couple of weeks ago. I looked at
    the network authentication setting and saw that it was not checked. Now
    whether or not it was when I did have AOL going on, I don't know. I have
    been wondering whether AOL did something to the settings and perhaps checked
    that box. At any rate, I still do not see any further problems at this time.

    Keeping my fingers crossed.

    > My problem . . .
    >
    > My printer and two other computers are connected via Ethernet and have no
    > connection problems.
    > The laptop, a Toshiba with integrated wireless is constantly telling me

    that
    > the wireless connection is not available.
    > It's running XP Home.
    > About every three minutes I'm forced to manually reconnect.
    > As soon as I reconnect I'm told that my signal strength is excellent.
    > I would think that excellent signal strength would indicate that
    > disconnecting would be rare but this seems not to be the case.
    > The laptop does this regardless of whether I'm five feet from the router

    or
    > upstairs at a distance of approximately twenty feet.
    > Is this normal ?
    > Are there any fixes.
    > Thanks if you have any ideas
    >
    > And Nathan's fix . . .
    >
    > Hey there,
    >
    > I think I know what's going on. I had a similar issue with my
    > wireless network. I think you have your wireless connection set for
    > Network Authentication. Mine would cycle, connecting for a while then
    > disconnecting. It was strange. I'm not sure if you can set this in
    > XP Home but you can in XP Pro. Go to Start ==> Control Panel. Double
    > click the Network Connections icon. In the window that appears,
    > right-click the wireless connection and select properties. Select the
    > Wireless Networks tab. In this tab, select your network in the
    > 'Preferred Networks' Area if neccessary. Click the 'Properties'
    > button. Uncheck the box next to Network Authentication. Click OK on
    > the bottom. Click OK in the remaining window.
    >
    > This fixed my problem. I made the mistake of associating
    > authentication using WEP with Network Authentication. Oh well, I hope
    > this helps you. By the way, I wrote these instructions for the new
    > start menu in XP, not the 'Classic Start Menu'. Good luck with all
    > this.
    >
    > Sincerely,
    > Nathan Sutton
    >
    > And my efforts with XP Home . . .
    >
    > I found it I think.
    >
    > As I'm using XP home it was perhaps a little different.
    >
    > Under "Wireless Properties" " Authentication" . . . . I unchecked "Enable
    > IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network.
    > When checked, this allows me the "EAP type" option of Smart Card or other
    > certificate OR
    > Protected EAP (PEAP)
    >
    > Anyways . . I unchecked it and so far in the last ten minutes I haven't

    had
    > to reset my connection once.
    > I believe you've done it.
    > Thank you . .Thank you . .Thank you . .Thank you . .Thank you . .Thank you

    ..

    > Final note . . . .
    >
    > I've been online with no problems since then.
    >

    > "Jay A" wrote in message
    > > Hmmm, I may have just discovered something....on a hunch, I uninstalled

    > AOL
    > > on this laptop and as of yet, I have not lost any connection!! The ONLY
    > > other thing I have done recently is install AOL on these computers a few
    > > days ago. I am almost beginning to wonder if THAT was causing the

    > problems.
    > > It's only been about 15 minutes or so where I have not had AOL installed

    > on
    > > this machine, but before doing the uninstall, I had been dropping the
    > > connection by this time.
    > >
    > > Anybody have any insight?

+ Reply to Thread