Need help: Out of Router Ports....add a new Router or Switch? (Home Network) - Network

This is a discussion on Need help: Out of Router Ports....add a new Router or Switch? (Home Network) - Network ; Hi All, (p.s.: sorry if this is a repeat, not sure if this question went through before.) Here's the question: I have a Linksys BEFWS4 Router for a small network (well, not a big office network, at least)...however, I am ...

  1. Need help: Out of Router Ports....add a new Router or Switch? (Home Network)

    Hi All, (p.s.: sorry if this is a repeat, not sure if this question went
    through before.)

    Here's the question:

    I have a Linksys BEFWS4 Router for a small network (well, not a big office
    network, at least)...however, I am out of LAN ports in the back of the
    unit....

    --> So, I would have to subdivide port 5 on the router.....do I wire a
    another "Router" into that port and wire the new router's WAN port to the
    current router's Port 5, or do I do that with a new "Switch" instead? ...I'm
    interested more in the best performance instead of price since the price of
    routers aren't too expensive. (unless if there is no difference, then I'll
    take the cheaper option)

    Also, is there any other configuration I'd have to do to the new(or old)
    router other than the basic 10-second config I normally would do for a
    1-router network?

    Thanks so much!
    JMC

  2. Re: Need help: Out of Router Ports....add a new Router or Switch? (Home Network)

    You can go either way. If you get a router and turn off DHCP it will act as
    a switch.

    I have a setup with the following:
    2 Linksys 4 port routers. The first acts as a router, the second has an IP
    of 192.168.0.127 (set it yourself) with DHCP off. One of the LAN (not
    WAN) ports in the back of the second router (the one that acts as the
    switch) is plugged into a LAN port on the first router (the one with DHCP
    on). All works perfectly, don't need to do anything else.
    --Adam

    "James McCoughlin" wrote in message
    news:lkU1c.151$UF1.30869@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net.. .
    > Hi All, (p.s.: sorry if this is a repeat, not sure if this question

    went
    > through before.)
    >
    > Here's the question:
    >
    > I have a Linksys BEFWS4 Router for a small network (well, not a big office
    > network, at least)...however, I am out of LAN ports in the back of the
    > unit....
    >
    > --> So, I would have to subdivide port 5 on the router.....do I wire a
    > another "Router" into that port and wire the new router's WAN port to the
    > current router's Port 5, or do I do that with a new "Switch" instead?

    ....I'm
    > interested more in the best performance instead of price since the price

    of
    > routers aren't too expensive. (unless if there is no difference, then I'll
    > take the cheaper option)
    >
    > Also, is there any other configuration I'd have to do to the new(or old)
    > router other than the basic 10-second config I normally would do for a
    > 1-router network?
    >

    > Thanks so much!
    > JMC

  3. Re: Need help: Out of Router Ports....add a new Router or Switch? (Home Network)

    > One of the LAN (not WAN) ports in the back of
    > the second router (the one that acts as the
    > switch) is plugged into a LAN port on the first
    > router. All works perfectly, don't need to do
    > anything else.

    I think you should specify that a cross over cable is needed.

  4. Re: Need help: Out of Router Ports....add a new Router or Switch? (Home Network)

    "DragonFly" wrote in message
    news:kCc2c.16310$JZ6.545955@news20.bellglobal.com. ..

    > > One of the LAN (not WAN) ports in the back of
    > > the second router (the one that acts as the
    > > switch) is plugged into a LAN port on the first
    > > router. All works perfectly, don't need to do
    > > anything else.

    > I think you should specify that a cross over cable is needed.

    A crossover cable is not needed. I'm not using one. You don't need it
    when going between two ports, although many switches support the option for
    the uplink port (there's usually a button to signify whether a cross over
    cable is used or not)

+ Reply to Thread