Out of Router Ports....add a new Router or Switch? (Home network) - Network

This is a discussion on Out of Router Ports....add a new Router or Switch? (Home network) - Network ; Hi All, I have a Linksys BEFWS4 Router for a small network (well, not a big office network, at least)...however, I am out of LAN ports in the back of the unit.... --> So, I would have to subdivide port ...

  1. Out of Router Ports....add a new Router or Switch? (Home network)

    Hi All,

    I have a Linksys BEFWS4 Router for a small network (well, not a big office
    network, at least)...however, I am out of LAN ports in the back of the
    unit....

    --> So, I would have to subdivide port 5 on the router.....do I wire a
    another "Router" into that port and wire the new router's WAN port to the
    current router's Port 5, or do I do that with a new "Switch" instead? ...I'm
    interested more in the best performance instead of price since the price of
    routers aren't too expensive. (unless if there is no difference, then I'll
    take the cheaper option)

    Also, is there any other configuration I'd have to do to the new(or old)
    router other than the basic 10-second config I normally would do for a
    1-router network?

    Thanks so much!
    JMC

  2. Re: Out of Router Ports....add a new Router or Switch? (Home network)

    you want a switch.

    it will cost you 50 for a decent one.

    Same config.

    i'd be tempted to plug everything into the switch rather than farting about
    with the router.

    john
    "James McCoughlin" wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have a Linksys BEFWS4 Router for a small network (well, not a big office
    > network, at least)...however, I am out of LAN ports in the back of the
    > unit....
    >
    > --> So, I would have to subdivide port 5 on the router.....do I wire a
    > another "Router" into that port and wire the new router's WAN port to the
    > current router's Port 5, or do I do that with a new "Switch" instead?

    ....I'm
    > interested more in the best performance instead of price since the price

    of
    > routers aren't too expensive. (unless if there is no difference, then I'll
    > take the cheaper option)
    >
    > Also, is there any other configuration I'd have to do to the new(or old)
    > router other than the basic 10-second config I normally would do for a
    > 1-router network?
    >

    > Thanks so much!
    > JMC

+ Reply to Thread