Hello,

Please help me setup a "dual router" setup. My situation is this.

First Router BEFSR41 router with 3 computers currently hooked up and working on the internet. I wish to use the fourth connection and run a straight through network cable to a second BEFSR41 router. I was wondering if anyone has connected two of these routers together and kept the networks as separate as possible. Linksys's website instructs the following which I tried unsuccessfully:

Connecting a BEFSR41 to another router

Product Class: BEFSR41
Operating System:Win95, Win98, WinME, WinNT, Win2000, WinXP

Q U E S T I O N
How do I connect a BEFSR41 to another router and have two routers on the same network, for purposes of expansion (adding more ports, etc)?

A N S W E R

BEFSR41 (first) ----------> BEFSR41 (second)
During this article, the two routers will be referred to as the "first" router (the main router), and the "second" router (the router that you are connecting to the first). The information assumes that both routers are Linksys BEFSR41 routers both with default factory settings to start; however, if you are familiar with the steps, they can apply to other routers and other manufacturer routers as well. Please contact the appropriate manufacturer for assistance.

Note: Having a "Dual Router Network" can potentially cause unexpected problems during the troubleshooting process if you were to ever have a problem. Be sure to record and remember any settings that are changed during this setup process. Settings that are changed are summarized at the end of this article.

Configuring the "second" router

1. With the "second" router powered on, and nothing plugged into any of its network ports, hold in the Reset button on the unit for about 30 seconds.
2. Connect one computer (it does not matter which one) into one of the numbered ports on the back of the "second" router, then restart or turn on that computer.
3. Verify that you are getting a Link light that matches the port to which you plugged the computer into. For example, if the computer was plugged into port 2, then the Link light on the front of the router for the number 2 port should be lit.
4. When the computer finishes its start up, open a web browser.
5. In the "Address Bar" type http://192.168.1.1 and press the [Enter] key on your keyboard
6. A box should appear asking for a "User Name" and "Password". Leave the "User Name" field empty and type your router password into the "Password" field (The default "Password" is admin) and click the OK button.
7. The router "Setup" page should load.
8. Click onto the DHCP tab.
9. Set the "DHCP Server" option to Disable.
10. Press Apply toward the bottom of the page. Press Continue if prompted; if not, the router will return to the page automatically.
11. Click onto the Setup tab.
12. Change the "LAN IP Address" to 192.168.1.2
13. Press Apply toward the bottom of the page. Then, close your web browser.

Physically connecting the two routers

14. Unplug the power to both "first" and "second" routers.
15. Take a straight-through network Ethernet patch cable and connect it to a free numbered port of the "first" router (1, 2, 3, or 4), and plug the other end of the cable into the Uplink port of the "second" router. (If the "second" router does not have an Uplink port, plug the cable instead into port 4. Port configurations vary by router version).
16. Plug the power cord first the "first" router, and then the "second" router.
17. At this point, the two routers are now connected and on the same network. Ports 1, 2, and 3 on the "second" router along with the remaining open ports on the "first" router are now available for other devices to plug into.

To recap the settings of both routers:

"First" router: (default factory settings)
LAN IP address: 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server: Enable

"Second" router
LAN IP address: 192.168.1.2
DHCP Server: Disable

The "second" router can now be easily referred to as a 3-port switch.

It seems to me that I would need to know how to configure the computers as they do not appear to have received their IP configuration from the first router correctly as the second router has DHCP now turned off on it. It does not appear to have correctly configured the second router as a switch at all...

Once again, thanks for reading...

Tim Paulin
tspaulin a t com cast dot net