Need help choosing a router! - Network

This is a discussion on Need help choosing a router! - Network ; I am building a home network with a 19" telco rack and need help choosing a router/switch. I'd like it to have approx 16 ports+. I plan to hook up about 4-6 computers, 2-3 game consoles, printer server and maybe ...

  1. Need help choosing a router!

    I am building a home network with a 19" telco rack and need help
    choosing a router/switch. I'd like it to have approx 16 ports+. I plan
    to hook up about 4-6 computers, 2-3 game consoles, printer server and
    maybe a file server. Would love to spend less than $100 on it but am
    flexible. I'd like to have 2 gigabit copper ports but not totally
    necessary. No wireless! Any suggestions on brands or models? Where is
    the best place to get good deals on rack mountable components?

    Mike

  2. Re: Need help choosing a router!

    mykbuckley@yahoo.com (Mike) wrote in message news:...
    > I am building a home network with a 19" telco rack and need help
    > choosing a router/switch. I'd like it to have approx 16 ports+. I plan
    > to hook up about 4-6 computers, 2-3 game consoles, printer server and
    > maybe a file server. Would love to spend less than $100 on it but am
    > flexible. I'd like to have 2 gigabit copper ports but not totally
    > necessary. No wireless! Any suggestions on brands or models? Where is
    > the best place to get good deals on rack mountable components?
    >
    > Mike

    Hi Mike,

    GrayBar is always a great place to find rack mountable components. In
    terms of switch/router, you might want to look at dovebid and ebay for
    cheaper options.
    If you are interested with used equipment, you might get Cisco
    1600/2500/2600 router and 2900 switch for a really good price.

    I hope this helps. Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread