What type of hardware is a linked computer? - Network

This is a discussion on What type of hardware is a linked computer? - Network ; I am trying to link my two computers and when I go to "add new hardware" it keeps asking me "what type of hardware you want to install". Both computers are in the same room, they both run on Windows ...

  1. What type of hardware is a linked computer?

    I am trying to link my two computers and when I go to "add new
    hardware" it keeps asking me "what type of hardware you want to
    install". Both computers are in the same room, they both run on
    Windows 98 and I am using a parallel cable. Thank you for any advice
    you can give.

  2. Re: What type of hardware is a linked computer?

    recyclebinned@charter.net (Molly Brown) wrote in message news:<4c3f97f3.0402291701.319974bb@posting.google.com>...
    > I am trying to link my two computers and when I go to "add new
    > hardware" it keeps asking me "what type of hardware you want to
    > install". Both computers are in the same room, they both run on
    > Windows 98 and I am using a parallel cable. Thank you for any advice
    > you can give.

    It sounds like you want to set up a network link between the two
    machines. Do not use add new hardware. Go to help and bring up network
    troubleshooting, it will guide you through the steps to connect as you
    answer the questions presented to you. (note:The network
    troubleshooter provides limited help but it should help you on the
    issues at hand. maybe someone else
    can address the issue of whether you need a a null modem adapter for
    your parallel cable because of the fact that you are linking two
    machines directly and not thru a hub or switch. If you were linking
    the machines directly thru network cards and cat5 cable you would need
    what is called a crossover cable to acomplish this.

+ Reply to Thread