How do I share an internet connection between two computers without using a hub? - Network

This is a discussion on How do I share an internet connection between two computers without using a hub? - Network ; I have two computers but only one internet connection. The internet connection is a cable from the LAN at the company where I work. Installing a second cable from the LAN is not an option. Both computers have one network ...

  1. How do I share an internet connection between two computers without using a hub?

    I have two computers but only one internet connection.

    The internet connection is a cable from the LAN at the company where I
    work. Installing a second cable from the LAN is not an option.

    Both computers have one network card, one modem card, one serial port,
    one parallel port, and at least one USB port.

    If I connect the LAN cable to the first computer, how do I get access
    to the LAN (and therefore the internet) from the second computer?

    I assume I will connect the second computer to the first via either
    the modems, serial ports, parallel ports, or USB ports. Correct?

    -Jonathan Klein

  2. Re: How do I share an internet connection between two computers without using a hub?

    Jonathan,
    There are several ways to share the internet in a small LAN, I prefer
    using a small economical router such DLINK 604 OR 605(includes 4 utp
    ports for up to 4 computers), they run about $50 or so, the reason I
    like using it you don't depend on any one computer to be turned on in
    order to use it, you would need two utp network cables to conect to
    the 4 port dlink router, and an extra upt cable to connect it to the
    dsl or cablemodem. It is very simple to setup with basic network
    knowledge.

    I guess the way you are looking itīs using one of the computers like a
    local server, In this case the computer you chooose to bee the server
    need 2 network card, one to connect to the cablemodem or dsl and
    another to connect it to the other computer(s). If it is only one
    computer you can use a crossover cable to hook up to the other
    computer, or if there are lets say 3 computers you would need a small
    switch or hub connected with a standar or straight utp cable. The
    help of the operating sistemīs help will talk you through it.
    A word to the wise do not use windows 98 computer as your server itīs
    a pain, windows me and 2000 or xp its much simpler.

    Good luck
    Ravel

    jfklein@shaw.ca (Jonathan) wrote in message news:<3b6cfe2e.0402280354.69b6968@posting.google.com>...
    > I have two computers but only one internet connection.
    >
    > The internet connection is a cable from the LAN at the company where I
    > work. Installing a second cable from the LAN is not an option.
    >
    > Both computers have one network card, one modem card, one serial port,
    > one parallel port, and at least one USB port.
    >
    > If I connect the LAN cable to the first computer, how do I get access
    > to the LAN (and therefore the internet) from the second computer?
    >
    > I assume I will connect the second computer to the first via either
    > the modems, serial ports, parallel ports, or USB ports. Correct?
    >
    > -Jonathan Klein

  3. Re: How do I share an internet connection between two computers without using a hub?

    Thanks for the suggestions Ravel. However, I would like to know if
    there is a way that I can connect the second computer to the first
    (acting as a server) with only one network card in the first. In other
    words I would connect the second computer to the first using their

    jdecoto151@hotmail.com (Juan) wrote in message news:<41d1c3d2.0402280737.75aca8ba@posting.google.com>...
    > Jonathan,
    > There are several ways to share the internet in a small LAN, I prefer
    > using a small economical router such DLINK 604 OR 605(includes 4 utp
    > ports for up to 4 computers), they run about $50 or so, the reason I
    > like using it you don't depend on any one computer to be turned on in
    > order to use it, you would need two utp network cables to conect to
    > the 4 port dlink router, and an extra upt cable to connect it to the
    > dsl or cablemodem. It is very simple to setup with basic network
    > knowledge.
    >
    > I guess the way you are looking itīs using one of the computers like a
    > local server, In this case the computer you chooose to bee the server
    > need 2 network card, one to connect to the cablemodem or dsl and
    > another to connect it to the other computer(s). If it is only one
    > computer you can use a crossover cable to hook up to the other
    > computer, or if there are lets say 3 computers you would need a small
    > switch or hub connected with a standar or straight utp cable. The
    > help of the operating sistemīs help will talk you through it.
    > A word to the wise do not use windows 98 computer as your server itīs
    > a pain, windows me and 2000 or xp its much simpler.
    >
    > Good luck
    > Ravel
    >

    > jfklein@shaw.ca (Jonathan) wrote in message news:<3b6cfe2e.0402280354.69b6968@posting.google.com>...
    > > I have two computers but only one internet connection.
    > >
    > > The internet connection is a cable from the LAN at the company where I
    > > work. Installing a second cable from the LAN is not an option.
    > >
    > > Both computers have one network card, one modem card, one serial port,
    > > one parallel port, and at least one USB port.
    > >
    > > If I connect the LAN cable to the first computer, how do I get access
    > > to the LAN (and therefore the internet) from the second computer?
    > >
    > > I assume I will connect the second computer to the first via either
    > > the modems, serial ports, parallel ports, or USB ports. Correct?
    > >
    > > -Jonathan Klein

  4. Re: How do I share an internet connection between two computers without using a hub?

    Since we're all top posting, I'll carry on the trend. USB -> USB network
    adapter -> crossover -> USB network adapter -> USB would work. You could
    even probably find some grotty peripheral that allows networking over USB.
    It can even be done using parallel ports if you have a month to spend.
    Either way is messy and slow. Why on earth won't you just get a hub?

    John

    "Jonathan" wrote in message
    news:3b6cfe2e.0403020222.13f85af6@posting.google.c om...
    > Thanks for the suggestions Ravel. However, I would like to know if
    > there is a way that I can connect the second computer to the first
    > (acting as a server) with only one network card in the first. In other
    > words I would connect the second computer to the first using their
    > modems, serial ports, parallel ports, or USB ports.
    >
    > -Jonathan Klein
    >
    > jdecoto151@hotmail.com (Juan) wrote in message

    > > Jonathan,
    > > There are several ways to share the internet in a small LAN, I prefer
    > > using a small economical router such DLINK 604 OR 605(includes 4 utp
    > > ports for up to 4 computers), they run about $50 or so, the reason I
    > > like using it you don't depend on any one computer to be turned on in
    > > order to use it, you would need two utp network cables to conect to
    > > the 4 port dlink router, and an extra upt cable to connect it to the
    > > dsl or cablemodem. It is very simple to setup with basic network
    > > knowledge.
    > >
    > > I guess the way you are looking itīs using one of the computers like a
    > > local server, In this case the computer you chooose to bee the server
    > > need 2 network card, one to connect to the cablemodem or dsl and
    > > another to connect it to the other computer(s). If it is only one
    > > computer you can use a crossover cable to hook up to the other
    > > computer, or if there are lets say 3 computers you would need a small
    > > switch or hub connected with a standar or straight utp cable. The
    > > help of the operating sistemīs help will talk you through it.
    > > A word to the wise do not use windows 98 computer as your server itīs
    > > a pain, windows me and 2000 or xp its much simpler.
    > >
    > > Good luck
    > > Ravel
    > >

    > > jfklein@shaw.ca (Jonathan) wrote in message

    > > > I have two computers but only one internet connection.
    > > >
    > > > The internet connection is a cable from the LAN at the company where I
    > > > work. Installing a second cable from the LAN is not an option.
    > > >
    > > > Both computers have one network card, one modem card, one serial port,
    > > > one parallel port, and at least one USB port.
    > > >
    > > > If I connect the LAN cable to the first computer, how do I get access
    > > > to the LAN (and therefore the internet) from the second computer?
    > > >
    > > > I assume I will connect the second computer to the first via either
    > > > the modems, serial ports, parallel ports, or USB ports. Correct?
    > > >
    > > > -Jonathan Klein

  5. Re: How do I share an internet connection between two computers without using a hub?

    I always top post. Just a habit I guess but I like it since the
    readers see my message as soon as they open it.

    Anyhow, the reason I wanted to share the network connection without a
    hub is because I wanted to do it without purchasing anything or
    purchasing the minimum amount of hardware possible.

    You see, I work overseas, so anything I buy here I will eventually
    have to lug back to Canada. A hub is probably not very big but it all
    adds up and when you have to carry all your living essentials for a
    two to three month stay overseas you try and keep everything as small
    and as light as possible. Size is the more important factor for me
    versus weight since I have limited space in my bags.

    I suppose I could just buy the hub and leave it here when I go back to
    Canada. If they are cheap this will be an option. Do you know if there
    are any ultra-compact

    I think parallel ports and serial ports are out since I have learned I
    will need to purchase a special cable. (I though I could use one of
    the regular printer cables at work of which there are many laying
    around unused.)

    Connecting modem to modem is a possibility since I will only have to
    purchase a null-modem cable (I think this is what they are called).
    But then the transfer speed is an issue.

    You suggested connecting via USB ports. Is is possible to do:
    USB->USB? Why do I need the network adapters and crossover cable? Is
    there such a thing as a crossover USB cable?

    -Jonathan

+ Reply to Thread