ip address of my router - Network

This is a discussion on ip address of my router - Network ; Hi everyone, On my home PC I have a router and 1 Ethernet card. My router has 2 IP addresses, one of them is 10.0.0.138? My question is: why my router has 2 IP addresses? Is one of them is ...

  1. ip address of my router

    Hi everyone,

    On my home PC I have a router and 1 Ethernet card.

    My router has 2 IP addresses, one of them is 10.0.0.138?

    My question is: why my router has 2 IP addresses?
    Is one of them is internal and the other is external?

    Any answer is very much appreciated. Thanks,

    Mori

  2. Re: ip address of my router

    Mori wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > On my home PC I have a router and 1 Ethernet card.
    >
    > My router has 2 IP addresses, one of them is 10.0.0.138?
    >
    > My question is: why my router has 2 IP addresses?
    > Is one of them is internal and the other is external?
    >
    > Any answer is very much appreciated. Thanks,
    >
    > Mori

    Is your router being used to access the Internet?

    Generally, your router is assigned an IP address from your ISP. The
    router then assigns addresses through DHCP to the computers attached to
    it. It also assigns itself one of those internal addresses.

  3. Re: ip address of my router

    Thanks Jerry for the info.
    Yes my router is used to connect to the Internet.
    So, to the outside world my IP will be the IP addressof the router
    assigned by my ISP, right? I mean if I want to ping my home PC from
    say my work PC, then I have to ping that external IP of the router?
    Thnx,
    Mori

  4. Re: ip address of my router

    Mori wrote:
    > Thanks Jerry for the info.
    > Yes my router is used to connect to the Internet.
    > So, to the outside world my IP will be the IP addressof the router
    > assigned by my ISP, right? I mean if I want to ping my home PC from
    > say my work PC, then I have to ping that external IP of the router?
    > Thnx,
    > Mori

    Yes

  5. Re: ip address of my router

    > My question is: why my router has 2 IP addresses?
    > Is one of them is internal and the other is external?

    IP addresses are not assigned to machines, they are assigned to interfaces.
    If your router is connected on N different networks, it will have N IP
    addresses. One on each Network.

    The following article might help:

    http://www.eventhelix.com/RealtimeMa...ip_routing.htm

    Sandeep
    --
    http://www.EventHelix.com/EventStudio
    EventStudio 2.0 - Generate Protocol Sequence Diagrams in PDF

+ Reply to Thread