Cutoff pcs on network from internet via tool - Network

This is a discussion on Cutoff pcs on network from internet via tool - Network ; Hi I have a home network of 2/3 pcs, the pcs are all running XP. One is connected to the internet on broadband, the rest are connected using internet connection sharing. I want to be able to cut off the ...

  1. Cutoff pcs on network from internet via tool

    Hi
    I have a home network of 2/3 pcs, the pcs are all running XP. One is
    connected to the internet on broadband, the rest are connected using
    internet connection sharing.
    I want to be able to cut off the non-main pcs from the network on demand,
    preferably via clicking a button. Are there any tools out there (free?)
    that will let me do this?

    Thanks

    If there are any other newsgroups that you recommend posting to instead
    that would also be useful to know, thanks.

  2. Re: Cutoff pcs on network from internet via tool

    i assume you're wanting to shutdown the computer. here's how you do it:

    create a batch file on you desktop with that command.

  3. Re: Cutoff pcs on network from internet via tool

    draigeteine@hotmail.com (Joel) wrote in message news:<85e6b12.0402270638.6d908e10@posting.google.com>...
    > i assume you're wanting to shutdown the computer. here's how you do it:

    No, I just want to stop the second pc from downloading.

    I tend to be downloading a lot on pc2, occasionally I'll want to browse the
    web on pc1. I have to stop the relevant processes on pc2 then browse then
    restart them. The processes can handle internet downtime anyway so it
    would be better if on pc1 I could just say, "suspend the internet for pc1"
    then later resume it, at a click of a button

    Thanks for the reply

  4. Re: Cutoff pcs on network from internet via tool

    heres the answer from another newsgroup, I'm assuming steve winograd
    doesn't mind me reposting

    "Right click the main PC's local area network connection and click
    Disable. That will stop all communication between it and the non-main
    PCs, so they won't be able to access the Internet.
    --
    Best Wishes,
    Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)"

+ Reply to Thread