know-how on printer network? - Network

This is a discussion on know-how on printer network? - Network ; hello, i work in a company which recycles inkjet cartridges, laser toners and all other similar products. in order to make the process of testing recycled toners easier we would like to connect a bunch of printers to one computer. ...

  1. know-how on printer network?

    hello,

    i work in a company which recycles inkjet cartridges, laser toners and
    all other similar products. in order to make the process of testing
    recycled toners easier we would like to connect a bunch of printers to
    one computer.

    we use windowsXP OS and lot different types of printers

    does anybody know what kind of lan i should consider? what hardware do
    i need to connect all these printers? some know-how?

    thank you,
    boris

  2. Re: know-how on printer network?

    bopuc@b92.net (Boris Pavlovic) wrote in message news:<60ce527b.0402250959.623e8ff7@posting.google.com>...
    > hello,
    >
    > i work in a company which recycles inkjet cartridges, laser toners and
    > all other similar products. in order to make the process of testing
    > recycled toners easier we would like to connect a bunch of printers to
    > one computer.
    >
    > we use windowsXP OS and lot different types of printers
    >
    > does anybody know what kind of lan i should consider? what hardware do
    > i need to connect all these printers? some know-how?
    >
    > thank you,
    > boris

    If these printers have network cards and are able to plug into a
    network, then I would consider purchasing a hub with the number of
    ports needed (# of printers + your computer). Then plug your computer
    and printers into the hub and set up all the printers on your computer
    (go to start---settings---printers and faxes, and click on "add a
    printer")so you can choose between when printing, for example from
    Word. If these are not network printers, but do however have USB port
    connections, then depending on how many USB ports you have on your
    computer you might be able to attach each printer to a USB port (ive
    never tried this before but its an idea).

  3. Re: know-how on printer network?

    Depends on the type of printers you are hooking up. If the printers
    have built-in network cards you can just plug them into the router to
    test them. Otherwise you will have to deal with USB/Parallel printers.
    Most computers today will have 6-8 USB inputs so testing USB printers
    will not be problem and you have 1 parallel port to use also. Or, you
    could buy a printer server and hook it up to your network. Trendware
    makes a cheap 2 USB/1 Parallel device for about $80 I think. I imagine
    if you want to spend more you can find one with more ports. Not really
    sure though. Most networks won't be using USB printers so they aren't
    in high demand.

    Mike

    bopuc@b92.net (Boris Pavlovic) wrote in message news:<60ce527b.0402250959.623e8ff7@posting.google.com>...
    > hello,
    >
    > i work in a company which recycles inkjet cartridges, laser toners and
    > all other similar products. in order to make the process of testing
    > recycled toners easier we would like to connect a bunch of printers to
    > one computer.
    >
    > we use windowsXP OS and lot different types of printers
    >
    > does anybody know what kind of lan i should consider? what hardware do
    > i need to connect all these printers? some know-how?
    >
    > thank you,
    > boris

  4. Re: know-how on printer network?

    "Dan" wrote in message
    news:e2c70180.0402270829.3cb9271c@posting.google.c om...
    > bopuc@b92.net (Boris Pavlovic) wrote in message

    > > hello,
    > >
    > > i work in a company which recycles inkjet cartridges, laser toners and
    > > all other similar products. in order to make the process of testing
    > > recycled toners easier we would like to connect a bunch of printers to
    > > one computer.
    > >
    > > we use windowsXP OS and lot different types of printers
    > >
    > > does anybody know what kind of lan i should consider? what hardware do
    > > i need to connect all these printers? some know-how?
    > >
    > > thank you,
    > > boris

    > If these printers have network cards and are able to plug into a
    > network, then I would consider purchasing a hub with the number of
    > ports needed (# of printers + your computer). Then plug your computer
    > and printers into the hub and set up all the printers on your computer
    > (go to start---settings---printers and faxes, and click on "add a
    > printer")so you can choose between when printing, for example from
    > Word. If these are not network printers, but do however have USB port
    > connections, then depending on how many USB ports you have on your
    > computer you might be able to attach each printer to a USB port (ive
    > never tried this before but its an idea).

    If they don't have network capabilities then use one of the many available
    print servers - the have one network port and, depending on type, several
    parallel and usb ports.

    Chris

+ Reply to Thread