basic question in TCP connection - Network

This is a discussion on basic question in TCP connection - Network ; sir, I am having a basic question in networking? I read that TCP connection will have a virtual cicuit (ie)only the first packet will contain destination ip and the remaining packets will follow the path(pushing of packets) My question is ...

  1. basic question in TCP connection

    sir,
    I am having a basic question in networking?

    I read that TCP connection will have a virtual cicuit
    (ie)only the first packet will contain destination ip and the
    remaining packets will follow the path(pushing of packets)
    My question is how the second & the other packets will follow the
    path??
    (My guess is FCS(frame check sequence) and how the second packet will
    follow the path and asking the follow up of first & other packets???)
    Help me
    Thks in adv

  2. Re: basic question in TCP connection

    thegreatkarthik@yahoo.co.in (karthikeyan) wrote in message news:...
    > sir,
    > I am having a basic question in networking?
    >
    > I read that TCP connection will have a virtual cicuit
    > (ie)only the first packet will contain destination ip and the
    > remaining packets will follow the path(pushing of packets)
    > My question is how the second & the other packets will follow the
    > path??
    > (My guess is FCS(frame check sequence) and how the second packet will
    > follow the path and asking the follow up of first & other packets???)
    > Help me
    > Thks in adv

    You read wrong! All packets have both the source and destination
    addresses. The circuit is virtual in more than one sense, ie., two
    packets headed for same destination may take _different_ physical
    paths to get there -- part of the reason TCP/IP is so robust.

    Perhaps you were reading something that was referring to packet
    fragmentation -- but that's just a guess.

    BTW if you're wanting to "see" how network protocols work, I highly
    recommend Ethereal as a free/OSS package that will help _very_ much.
    http://www.ethereal.com/

    hth,
    prg
    email above disabled

  3. Re: basic question in TCP connection

    You can get more information about TCP operations from:

    http://www.eventhelix.com/RealtimeMantra/Networking/

    Sandeep
    --
    http://www.EventHelix.com/EventStudio
    EventStudio 2.0 - Generate Protocol Sequence Diagrams in PDF

+ Reply to Thread