TCPIP problem on 10B2 network with OS/2, W311, W95, W98 - Network

This is a discussion on TCPIP problem on 10B2 network with OS/2, W311, W95, W98 - Network ; I have a single 10B2 network with five boxes on it. They run OS/2, Win 3.11, Win 95, Win 98 and DOS! Really! They have been happily running as file and print peers for years using NetBios. I don't want ...

  1. TCPIP problem on 10B2 network with OS/2, W311, W95, W98

    I have a single 10B2 network with five boxes on it. They run OS/2,
    Win 3.11, Win 95, Win 98 and DOS! Really! They have been happily
    running as file and print peers for years using NetBios. I don't want
    to mess with that. I have added TCPIP to all but the DOS box to allow
    internet connection sharing. I know little about TCPIP or configuring
    it BUT now the Win 3.11 box and the OS/2 box can ping each other. The
    Win 95 box and the Win 98 can also ping each other. Although the
    boxes all share the same cable I just cannot get the two Win 9x boxes
    to ping the other two. The TCPIP protocols are all 32 bit but I got
    no clue. I hope somebody else does.

    Once I get ping to work I have to set up the OS/2 box as a proxy
    server using an InJoy dialer. That will be additional fun!

    Thanks for any help!
    Eddie

  2. Re: TCPIP problem on 10B2 network with OS/2, W311, W95, W98

    Make sure they are all using the same ip network address (only the host
    section of your ip address should change from device to device) and subnet
    mask. Make sure you are using NAT with your private ip addresses to connect
    to the internet, or install a web proxy/cache server. Squid for linux is
    good, if you want to add another os to your arrangement! Have a look on
    Google for IP classes etc. if you really need to start from scratch.

    "Eddie Fowlkes" wrote in message
    news:7a54de20.0402231715.7b0775fd@posting.google.c om...
    > I have a single 10B2 network with five boxes on it. They run OS/2,
    > Win 3.11, Win 95, Win 98 and DOS! Really! They have been happily
    > running as file and print peers for years using NetBios. I don't want
    > to mess with that. I have added TCPIP to all but the DOS box to allow
    > internet connection sharing. I know little about TCPIP or configuring
    > it BUT now the Win 3.11 box and the OS/2 box can ping each other. The
    > Win 95 box and the Win 98 can also ping each other. Although the
    > boxes all share the same cable I just cannot get the two Win 9x boxes
    > to ping the other two. The TCPIP protocols are all 32 bit but I got
    > no clue. I hope somebody else does.
    >
    > Once I get ping to work I have to set up the OS/2 box as a proxy
    > server using an InJoy dialer. That will be additional fun!
    >
    > Thanks for any help!
    > Eddie

+ Reply to Thread