I recently had to get a new cable modem from Mediacom. It's a
SURFboard SB4220. I have a Netgear MR814 that worked just fine with my
old USR cable modem.

Now, however, the Netgear refuses to hold the IP sent out by the cable
modem. It'll hold it for a couple seconds, then the information just
disappears, like the router isn't getting any information from the
modem anymore. The router also doesn't report my iBook as being
attached in the "attached devices" menu, though it clearly is attach
(and the #1 pc port is green on the front of the router).

When I hook my iBook (running Panther) up to the modem directly,
everything is just great. I set the iBook to use DHCP, and it receives
IP from the modem just fine.

I've tried setting the Netgear to spoof the iBook's MAC address, but it
never seems to work. It's like the Netgear keeps resetting itself for
some reason. According to the status lights on the front of the
router, it's connected to my computer *and* is receiving from the
modem, but I can't get to the modem from my iBook via the router.

Here's what the log information from the cable modem looks like:

040223214719
3-Critical
R02.0
No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

040218203149
5-Warning
D103.0
DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response

700101000015
3-Critical
R02.0
No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

700101000024
5-Warning
D04.1
ToD request sent - No Response received

040214015652
3-Critical
T01.0
SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol
tim

040214015652
3-Critical
T04.0
SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to receive MAC SYNC frame
with

700101000017
3-Critical
R02.0
No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

700101000056
3-Critical
T01.0
SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol
tim

700101000055
3-Critical
T04.0
SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to receive MAC SYNC frame
with

700101000052
3-Critical
R05.0
Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3
time-out

700101000018
3-Critical
R02.0
No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

700101000141
3-Critical
T01.0
SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol
tim

700101000141
3-Critical
T04.0
SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to receive MAC SYNC frame
with

700101000140
3-Critical
R05.0
Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3
time-out

700101000127
3-Critical
R02.0
No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

700101000115
3-Critical
T01.0
SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol
tim

700101000115
3-Critical
T04.0
SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to receive MAC SYNC frame
with

700101000107
3-Critical
T01.0
SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol
tim

700101000106
3-Critical
T04.0
SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to receive MAC SYNC frame
with

700101000100