Same router, by wire = yes, by wireless=no - Network

This is a discussion on Same router, by wire = yes, by wireless=no - Network ; Here's a bit of a puzzler, at least to me anyway. I have a Dell Latitude D600, 512 MB RAM, Pentium M 1.4 Ghz, and Windows XP Pro SP 1. I also have a linksys BEFW11S4 router, which can handle ...

  1. Same router, by wire = yes, by wireless=no

    Here's a bit of a puzzler, at least to me anyway.

    I have a Dell Latitude D600, 512 MB RAM, Pentium M 1.4 Ghz, and
    Windows XP Pro SP 1.

    I also have a linksys BEFW11S4 router, which can handle both wired and
    wireless connections.

    Here is where I'm totally stumped -

    When a connection is made via cable, IE browses fine - life is good.

    When the wireless connection is made (no cables) IE can not find any
    web sites, even if an IP address is entered directly. Here's more
    info about this wireless connection:

    - The router can be accessed through the browser (192.168.1.1), but
    any 'outside' url brings up a 'Page Not Found'
    - The card is a linksys WPC11 version 4,
    - The wireless connection shows packets being received in the
    Connection Status dialog,
    - Pinging through the wireless connection works fine,
    - Tracert through the wireless connection works fine,
    - TCP/IP for the wireless connection is set to obtain an IP and DNS
    address automatically, DHCP is enabled. In short, I have another Dell
    Latitude D600 connecting on a different wireless network, and as far
    as I can tell, the network settings for the wireless connections are
    the same,
    - Using the Network Connections dialog, if I try to repair the
    wireless connection, I get the message 'can not flush DNS resolver
    cache', which
    is not the case on other PCs on other wireless networks.

    Does anyone have any hints or suggestions?

    Many thanks,
    Roger

  2. Re: Same router, by wire = yes, by wireless=no

    I don't know if this will work for you, but it worked for me...and I don't
    know why. I simply turned off the router for 10 seconds or so, and then
    turned it back on. After that I was able to surf the web. I have a similar
    situation and set up to yours: both wired and wireless, linksys WPC11.
    Hope it works.

    Roger wrote:

    > Here's a bit of a puzzler, at least to me anyway.
    >
    > I have a Dell Latitude D600, 512 MB RAM, Pentium M 1.4 Ghz, and
    > Windows XP Pro SP 1.
    >
    > I also have a linksys BEFW11S4 router, which can handle both wired and
    > wireless connections.
    >
    > Here is where I'm totally stumped -
    >
    > When a connection is made via cable, IE browses fine - life is good.
    >
    > When the wireless connection is made (no cables) IE can not find any
    > web sites, even if an IP address is entered directly. Here's more
    > info about this wireless connection:
    >
    > - The router can be accessed through the browser (192.168.1.1), but
    > any 'outside' url brings up a 'Page Not Found'
    > - The card is a linksys WPC11 version 4,
    > - The wireless connection shows packets being received in the
    > Connection Status dialog,
    > - Pinging through the wireless connection works fine,
    > - Tracert through the wireless connection works fine,
    > - TCP/IP for the wireless connection is set to obtain an IP and DNS
    > address automatically, DHCP is enabled. In short, I have another Dell
    > Latitude D600 connecting on a different wireless network, and as far
    > as I can tell, the network settings for the wireless connections are
    > the same,
    > - Using the Network Connections dialog, if I try to repair the
    > wireless connection, I get the message 'can not flush DNS resolver
    > cache', which
    > is not the case on other PCs on other wireless networks.
    >
    > Does anyone have any hints or suggestions?
    >
    > Many thanks,
    > Roger

+ Reply to Thread